Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Saps Reservist

User

Quote Originally Posted by TJ-Flames View Post
    Might be a good time to buy a BPV, Bullet Proof Vest for yourself then.
    That's the thing... As far as I have been told, if you do not work in an official SAPS BPV, they will not cover you medically if you get tagged. In-hospital this might not be an issue IF your medical aid will still cover you for injuries on duty. But anything else thereafter, like rehabilation, physio, etc will come off my savings and then cost me money in my personal capacity.
    Beware the killer ræbbit of Caerbannog! Look, that ræbbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide. It's a killer!!! He's got huge, sharp... eh, he can leap about... LOOK AT THE BONES!!!
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmu5sRIizdw&sns=em[/URL]

User

Default Re: Saps Reservist

Beat me to it WR.

Correct - must be a state-issued BPV. As it is the tell me we may not be covered for having our own tac vests over the BPV, as they are not state issue.

User

And they will cover you if you are without a official BPV?

User

Quote Originally Posted by TJ-Flames View Post
    And they will cover you if you are without a official BPV?
    No, but I meant to say if you work without a state issued BPV they don't cover you. Whether you work without one, or one that is not state issued.

Mike, that makes no logical sense whatsoever, but does not suprise me at all :-(
    Beware the killer ræbbit of Caerbannog! Look, that ræbbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide. It's a killer!!! He's got huge, sharp... eh, he can leap about... LOOK AT THE BONES!!!

User

Got to do with the fact that there 'may' be ricochets off items that wouldn't be there if it was just state issue BPV etc....

User

I'd much sooner die from some people's stupidity than that reason... But hey, I guess they've done their research.

User

Originally Posted by Flossy
    WR tell these gents about the 14 steps.

Why be negative? People make of this what they want, so why put them off before they even start?
    Because IF you know what it’s going to be like, you know the hurdles and difficulties, and you STILL want to join, then you are worth investing 3 months of theory training and 2 years practical training and nother 5 years of mentoring in....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Flossy View Post
    Because IF you know what it’s going to be like, you know the hurdles and difficulties, and you STILL want to join, then you are worth investing 3 months of theory training and 2 years practical training and nother 5 years of mentoring in....
    Sorry - that philosophy doesn't fly with me. People have different experiences etc, so you can't generalise. Ever notice how one vrot grape makes the whole box vrot so much quicker?

I have had 16 awesome years. I have had my share of issues and frustrations naturally, but they are exactly that - my issues and frustrations. Don't throw vrot grapes in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by miklin View Post
    Sorry - that philosophy doesn't fly with me. People have different experiences etc, so you can't generalise. Ever notice how one vrot grape makes the whole box vrot so much quicker?

I have had 16 awesome years. I have had my share of issues and frustrations naturally, but they are exactly that - my issues and frustrations. Don't throw vrot grapes in the box.
    awesome post
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

Ok, we have gone down the wrong road here.

I don’t want to discourage people, I would just like the next generation to understand.

I understand where you are coming from and yes my post probably was too negative. I just want them to know that its a commitment like no other, it will test you in every way possible, there are degrees to the level of involvement but either way its very hard work for one of the most incredible experiences you can every have in your life, and it will change you.

I stand by what I say when I say not enough new reservists know what its going to entail when they join up. I commend you guys for being on here and sharing your experiences openly but I also think new reservists should have an opportunity to sit down and have some lunch with the old dogs before they join.

I also think that if you are going to join a station you should request to meet with the management and reserves before you sign up. Those are the people who you will one day rely on to save your life and visa versa, they are individuals who will walk through hell with you, they will carry as 6 with you and will stand behind you when you are judged by 12....

Putting on that uniform is a HUGE commitment, to not only protect and serve the force but your community and the general population, and Id like the next generation to recognise and understand every aspect of what it entails.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast