Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: HANDGUN WHILE DRIVING.

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 FORCE View Post
    MEMBERS…..
    All the replies make sense, at the end of the day usesomething “technic” that works for you,and that of you’re trained in.
    I think there’s no right or wrong here, all the reply’s makesense and will be practicing them as soon as possible, and I will stick to theone that works the best and give me a few seconds before I get to be a statistic.
    Going to practice …… prefect practise makes perfect…..
    So keep on giving advice PLZ …..
    K-9 FORCE
    Some advice on practice from Chris Costa :

Amateurs practice until they get it right , Experts practice until they get it wrong...

Love those words....

User

Is this not illegal in South Africa? I understand the law requires a firearm to be completely covered at all times in public. (Concealed Carry in USA).

User

concealed, and carried in a holster. also firearms need to be under your direct control when not locked away in a safe.

I want my gun snug and well hidden on me. I've been in a bad crash where I was knocked out, and luckily woke to good samaritans in the car trying to get me out.

also wouldn't want the mission and perhaps attention of transferring the gun every time I got in or out my car. If hijackers order me out my car with guns pointed at me, I dont want to leave my gun behind for them. I may not have the chance then and there to do anything, but perhaps an opportunity might arise once I am out the car with my gun hidden on me.

User

I have carried a Beretta 92 for the past 9 years. I have had to do a lot of driving in the car and with a large framed pistol I find it uncomforable and impractical for me to access the weapon quickly enough by keeping the weapon on me in one of the three types or holster that I use for daily carry based on the clothing I'm wearing. (RHS Bekini, Small Of Back or LH inside pants holster carried at my back) I also beleive it is less noticable than if I had it on my RHS poking into the seat.

I therefore prefer to keep the pistol hidden under my theigh of my right leg. For some people this may seem unsafe but I view this as no different to an appendix carry where accessing your FA could result in you shooting your three-piece. I understand the mechanics of my FA and am more than confident in my safe handling of the pistol with it in this position.

I think awareness is always important, especially if you are caught and have to keep you hands visible which I think is the only disadvantage of this position - you will need to think of some other distraction or hand to hand combat to save your life and access/pick up the FA.

For longer trips say 3-5hrs I will move the FA to the floor or door compartment once I feel the risk of something occuring on the highway is less. What I have wondered is if I should rather keep the FA under my left leg as it would allow my right hand to be free (SA being RH drive vehicles) & defend while I access the FA?

Keeping that gun under your leg can turn out to be a very bad idea should you be involved in a crash as were the FBI agents in Miami in 1986...bad idea IMO
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    Keeping that gun under your leg can turn out to be a very bad idea should you be involved in a crash as were the FBI agents in Miami in 1986...bad idea IMO
    Point taken. Was wanting to hear what comments people may have... Thanks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dave023 View Post
    I don't carry +1 in the chamber so when driving I simply put my slide back and put my G19 in the side of my door sum how with all the other stuff in my door my G19 sits at exactly the right angle and doesn't move, I find especially if Im driving it may take way longer to cock my weapon so in this case i silly drop the slide.
    I wouldn't do that. I don't want to run the risk of an errant bublegum wrapper or something finding it's way into the chamber and spoiling my day.

Rather get used to carrying +1 IMO.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

And carry one up, don't give yourself a handicap in a game where you will already be on the back foot.

User

I have a .44Spcl pending approval. When I carry it obviously it will always be ready to fire when the cylinder is loaded. Being an S&W or Special with a 4 inch barrel it is quite a good SD weapon. Drawbacks: only 5 shots at any time, a little bit bulky, speed-loaders will add to bulk as in order for them to be effective I would have to carry them around with me. On the plus: if I hit my target anywhere whether vital area or just a leg, shoulder, hip...the attacker will know about it and definitely think of stopping the attack, a slow moving 245 grain soft will definitely do the trick. The recoil of the Special is puny in comparison to a Magnum.

I want to have the gun in a holster that is fitted(removable) to the door pocket of the drivers door, so that if I am held at gunpoint and told to get out I can use the opening of the door as a ruse to get at my gun ie in order to open the door I have to put my right hand where my gun is, I will then take the ready-to-fire weapon out of holster in the movement...surprise for attacker! Just a theory though. If I can drive away instead I will do so: only when forced out of car will I pull the move of getting at the gun, because I naturally keep my doors locked, the attacker will accept my dropping my right hand as compliance to unlock the door. I will keep a concealable holster in the small of my back and simply transfer the weapon when I make a pit-stop etc. This will not be very obvious to anyone watching me, I am also very diligent about firearm awareness and safety(as I'm sure we all are), point being I'm very careful. Like I said, only a theory, I am still waiting for the gun.

Hope you guys find the method/s that best suit you, and drive safe.

User

just remember there are usually 2-5 hijackers, one of whom may be watching through the passenger side window.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast