Default choosing a scope

Hi people! Hope this is posted in the right category to get some good replys!
    I’m in the proses of buying 2 new scopes and need some help!
    I have a .223rem and a .300win and will do mostly karoo hunts and some occasional bush hunts.
    And some occasional night hunts.
    Now,budget is not an issue because I have decided I want quality, but as you all know, there’s quality
    That’s worth paying for and then theres quality that’s just a total overkill.
    I have decided that I don’t want anything less than a 3-12 or 4-12 and preferably 50 or 52 for more light.
    I looked at Swarovski, Zeiss, Leopold, bushnell and Nikon.
    Also, something I came across was these new range finding scopes, Burrit, Nikon and Bushnell, does anyone have experience on them and would you recommend it, I love the fact that it has built in range finder but what worries me is it only has a 3 to 3.5” eye relief, and I think that is little risky for the .300win, don’t feel like eye cuts!!!
    Please tell me what you would do personally and reasons!

Many thanks

User

Default Re: choosing a scope

Look at the link provided for a nice review of the Burris Eliminator rangefinding scope
    http://www.sahuntingrifle.co.za/inde...14835&catid=29
    Mounted on a 25.06. Very impressive.

User

leoplod vx1 a-12-40 for sale! any takers?

User

If money is not a problem (as the OP states), I'd much rather take a VX3 than a VX1.

I have a .223rem and a .300win and will do mostly karoo hunts and some occasional bush hunts.
    And some occasional night hunts.
    Depending on how occasional the bush and night hunts are I would discount these from the criteria. Many times we end up getting bent out of shape trying to satisfy ALL conditions when in reality often these will relate to less that 5% of out hunting.

Now,budget is not an issue because I have decided I want quality, but as you all know, there’s quality That’s worth paying for and then theres quality that’s just a total overkill.
    I think you are saying that you want bang for buck. Don't own any myself but if money was not an issue I would go for Swarovski. To pay R 20k plus for a scope is tough for most.

I have decided that I don’t want anything less than a 3-12 or 4-12 and preferably 50 or 52 for more light.
    Magnification, what has lead you to this decision, was it your shooting distances or merely a preference? A 3-10X should not be discounted. Although not cast in stone 1X magnification per 50m should be more than adequate so a 9X scope should be fine up to 400m.

A 50 or 52mm will leave the scope well high of the comb and may cause cheek weld problems depending on the style of stock. Leupold do a very nice scope with a cutaway over the barrel allowing one to reduce the scope height. Not cheap though.

Personally I don't think you should discount 40mm scopes.

I love the fact that it has built in range finder but what worries me is it only has a 3 to 3.5” eye relief, and I think that is little risky for the .300win, don’t feel like eye cuts!!!
    Just a personal preference but I think that a range finder in a scope adds to the complication of the shot. Not too sure what you have looked at but generally most need some fast mental calculations based on the animal size and other factors.

Buy a range finder rather, decent ones will even allow you to calculate allowances for shooting up or downhill.

What you have not mentioned is the reticle type you will be going for, which for me is crucial. Thick crosshairs at long ranges obscure more of the target than I like. Thin crosshairs may (or may not) be difficult in poor light or heavy bush.

Draw up a spreadsheet for all the criteria that are important and then weight them mathematically. A simple calculation for each will allow you to come up with a score that will be a more objective measure of what is suitable for you.