Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Colt Commander rescue - need some advice - SD&IDPA

Howzit,

I bought a 2nd hand nickel plated Colt Commander - I'm not clued up (yet) on the models, but I have a strong suspicion that it was manufactured after 1991.

The previous owner bought the gun because "he thought it would be cool." He even had plans to put a suppressor on it. By his estimation he fired less than 800 rounds. The gun has been lying in a safe for the past 8 years - BUT Mr Coolness himself did not know the basics of gun care.
    The pistol was put in the safe, round chambered, loaded magazine, and no oil. The safe was flooded with water due to a burst pipe - (6 years ago).The result is severe rusting on the slide & frame. A gunsmith checked the pistol out - the barrel and internal workings are in good condition - just the outside that's in bad shape.

I intend to use it for self-defense and IDPA (CDP).

Advice needed here:
    1. How good is guncote? I want to get rid of the nickel.
    2. The mags are useless (read rusted beyond all repair)- I'm thinking of sticking with 7rnd mags, instead of the extended 8rnd ones. Good or bad idea? Secondly, where will I be able to get decent mags. I'm willing to spend a bit more for quality.
    3. I want to replace the beavertail grip safety with one from Wilson Combat - Is IDPA legal? (I'm still reading through all the rules - not leaving anything to my own interpretation at this time)
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_beaver...afeties_di.asp

I'm only interested in getting the Colt into a shootable condition - I'll worry about grips, sights etc later.

Default Re: Colt Commander rescue - need some advice - SD&IDPA

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates

1. How good is guncote? I want to get rid of the nickel.
    2. The mags are useless (read rusted beyond all repair)- I'm thinking of sticking with 7rnd mags, instead of the extended 8rnd ones. Good or bad idea? Secondly, where will I be able to get decent mags. I'm willing to spend a bit more for quality.
    3. I want to replace the beavertail grip safety with one from Wilson Combat - Is IDPA legal? (I'm still reading through all the rules - not leaving anything to my own interpretation at this time)
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_beaver...afeties_di.asp

I'm only interested in getting the Colt into a shootable condition - I'll worry about grips, sights etc later.

1. Guncote is only as good as the person doing the application. My Norinco 1911 was Guncoted by ARMS in PTA. Im happy with their work. Good turnaround times,
    2. 7 rounders are more reliable than 8 rounders, you don't really lose anything by running 8 rounders in IDPA, I can get you Wolff mags,
    3. Wilson beaver tail is fine for CDP, PM Khumba. It will have to be gunsmith fitted.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Yip I can help with Wilson Combat.

Wilson 8rnd Mags are super reliable and I have some.

User

Thanks for the info.

I'll pm you guys about the magazines as soon as the Colt has been gun coated.

User

Dealing with Khumba or SSP you are GTG both are gentlemen to do business with.

Contact SSP and find out how to order a replacement Wolff spring set. Then order it and throw all the current springs away and replace them. Order a few recoil springs as these need regular replacement ( some experts recommend every 3000 rounds in a Commander length pistol).

I could be mistaken but I am not sure if Colt were still making nickle plated guns post 1991. Is it a series ,80 IOW does it have a firing pin block. What do the markings on the slide say? IIRc the two lines at that time were the 1991a1 series which were fairly basic and the enhanced series with extended beavertails under cut trigger guards etc I hope I have the time line right.

Is it a Combat Commander (steel frame) or a Lightweight Commander (alloy frame)?

User

Howzit Big T,

I'm not entirely sure about the markings - I did not check that the first time - my brain basically stopped working after holding it in my hand. I will be taking pictures of it next week (for the before & after part of the rescue). I tried checking the serial number on the net- but after reading another post on the site, I will try again, excluding the "WR" prefix.

It is definitely a Combat Commander.

I will definitely contact them both - but only after I have completed the the gungoating.

User

The WR number is generally a local addition if a serial number is duplicated. There will be a serial number on the right side of the frame above the trigger guard area. This will give you better results on your search.

If you are planning on doing work on the gun I would consider doing it before the guncoat. If you fit Beavertails etc after that you will need to refinish. Just something to consider.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    The WR number is generally a local addition if a serial number is duplicated. There will be a serial number on the right side of the frame above the trigger guard area. This will give you better results on your search.

If you are planning on doing work on the gun I would consider doing it before the guncoat. If you fit Beavertails etc after that you will need to refinish. Just something to consider.
    Thanks for the info - will also post the photo's as soon as I am able to do so.
    I am definitely going to fit the WC beaver tail - I'll do all the coating once. I'm not really in a hurry to complete the project.
    Any other advice will be appreciated - I've never shot a handgun other than a 9mm, so I have no idea what I am doing other than that which I read on the net and Magnum.

User

There is some excellent info on running a 1911 on www.10-8.com check it out.

Dont scrimp on parts and gunsmithing. Dont let just anyone "customise" your gun. I have seen some so called gun smithing that was little more than butchery.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    There is some excellent info on running a 1911 on www.10-8.com check it out.

Dont scrimp on parts and gunsmithing. Dont let just anyone "customise" your gun. I have seen some so called gun smithing that was little more than butchery.
    I phoned rescomp - they gave me the number of a guy they recommend in Pretoria. He seemed like he knew what he was doing the first time I took the Colt to him. But the proof will be in the end result

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast