Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 LastLast
    User

Default Re: STICKY: Motivation Letter Ideas and Examples.

I handed in my section 13 application at Lyttleton SAPS, Centurion today. The police officer removed multiple pages from my motivation including the contents page, copy of my proficiency certificate, copy of my current licence cards, proof of purchase of the firearm, and an invoice from my home armed response security company.

She said a few times, "why do people put this in their motivation?" before removing a page and handing it to me. Has anyone else experienced this? It has me a bit worried now because there are multiple annexures referred to in my motivation that are now missing.

User

Quote Originally Posted by C_B View Post
    I handed in my section 13 application at Lyttleton SAPS, Centurion today. The police officer removed multiple pages from my motivation including the contents page, copy of my proficiency certificate, copy of my current licence cards, proof of purchase of the firearm, and an invoice from my home armed response security company.

She said a few times, "why do people put this in their motivation?" before removing a page and handing it to me. Has anyone else experienced this? It has me a bit worried now because there are multiple annexures referred to in my motivation that are now missing.
    I have never seen anything removed and discarded but have seen them moving stuff about to match their folder structure. Working on the, only half tongue in cheek, assumption that 30 to 40 seconds is the total expended on reviewing the motivation I wouldn't worry too much

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I have never seen anything removed and discarded but have seen them moving stuff about to match their folder structure. Working on the, only half tongue in cheek, assumption that 30 to 40 seconds is the total expended on reviewing the motivation I wouldn't worry too much
    Thanks. I spoke to another guy who was helped by a different officer who also had pages removed from his motivation. Maybe CFR has told them to remove some unnecessary stuff.

User

Thanks. I spoke to another guy who was helped by a different officer who also had pages removed from his motivation. Maybe CFR has told them to remove some unnecessary stuff.
    Price of waste paper must be down ;-)

User

Average response from what I've heard... My mother's words were something to the following: "Never have I ever felt so belittled in my life before", this was also at LyttleDoosterton SAPS. That is after they told her to be in the queue before 6am as they only take 20 a day and chase the remainder away, she ended up having to re-queue over a period of 3 days to do a renewal during August/September 2021.

It does however seem that they process the applications rather quickly though...

User

Quote Originally Posted by paulnb View Post
    For my recent s13 application, on my carefully crafted motivation, the DFO only kept my local crime statistics attachments (supporting documents) in the application package - so he turfed all the other attachments i.e. comparison of the compact SD firearm specification cw my s16 full size firearm, cited university research into home invasions, firearm endorsement from my DSS association, copies of my training certificates, my references, copies of other licenses held. Hopefully less is more.
    This was my experience at Lyttelton DFO too back in December 2020. Most of the annexures that my motivation referred to were removed, so I was also worried my application would be rejected as incomplete. Still my license was approved 5 months later.

Short to the point motivations have always worked well for me. My motivations are never longer then one page.

User

Happened to me last year as well for a sec16 application. Came in with this big folder with a motivation compiled by Ranyati, ended up taking more than half home with me.

Need to hand in another app next week, do you still have to be there early in the morning?

User

Thanks for the responses guys.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockVirgin View Post
    Happened to me last year as well for a sec16 application. Came in with this big folder with a motivation compiled by Ranyati, ended up taking more than half home with me.

Need to hand in another app next week, do you still have to be there early in the morning?
    I got there just after 7am and was second in line (they open at 7). Try to be there before 7:30 and you should be fine, they apparently have a limited number of slots per day. I went around 11:00 the first time and was told to come back the next day.

User

I have previously successfully applied for a s13 - SD licence (and renewed several times since).

I’m about to apply for a s16 licence and so I’ve read through this whole discussion, and others on this forum. I also studied the Act and the regulations again in detail.

Regarding the motivation letters, I understand all the gnashing of teeth and worrying about the contents of a s13 application - you need to prove you need a firearm for SD and that you can’t reasonably satisfy that need by means other than possession of a firearm.

Under s15 I also understand the need for a motivation, because you have to prove that you are indeed an occasional hunter or occasional sports person.

However, and I may be naive, but I don’t understand the need for a motivation for s16 - the Act simply says the Registrar may issue a licence to a person who is a dedicated hunter or dedicated sports person if the application is accompanied by a sworn statement or declaration from an accredited hunting association or sports-shooting organisation, stating that the applicant is a registered member of that association. S16 further only requires a proper safe to be installed, and that the firearm be used where it is safe to use and for a lawful purpose. The rest of s16 covers some requirements that the accredited association must have (i.e. not my problem).

So where does the “motivation” come in for a s16 application?

The Act defines “dedicated hunter” and “dedicated sports person” as one who actively participates in hunting/sports shooting and who is a member of an accredited hunting/sports-shooting association/organisation. So it seems to me if I have and maintain my dedicated status (i.e. by means of actively participating) then there is again no need for a “motivation”.

Am I being naive? Has anyone on this forum had a successful application by submitting just those items as set out in s16?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 LastLast