Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Star

User

Default Star

Seeing as the star factory has been closed down for a while. would it be a bad idea to buy a star pistol? from what i can tel they are well made and reliable, however I have heard rumours that getting spares for them can be a problem? There is a immaculate Star M28 (Firestar) at the local gun shop, and i was just wondering if this would be a good buy. R3k by the way. but it really is in perfect condition! I don't have enough cash for a glock or something like that. any thoughts?

User

Default Re: Star

Personally on that sort of budget I would try for a second hand CZ 75 or a Browning High Power. You should be able to find them at that price.

User

User

There was a Browning there, also in good condition. are they not a bit more of a mission to conceal? being double stack and full-size?

User

The BHP is one of the easiest service pistols to carry and conceal as it is so slim.

Yes a firestar may be slightly easier to carry but the browning wont be insurmountably so. The question to ask yourself is while the bigger pistol will take a little more thought to conceal which would be a better choice if you ever need the pistol for what you are carrying it for? A bigger pistol is much easier to fight with than something chosen simply because it is a small as possible.

One of my favorite quotes by Clint Smith "A carry gun is meant to be comforting not comfortable"

User

I hear you and you make a lot of sense :) and i agree with you too. On the flip side, what is better, the half brick you have with you the whole time or the whole brick you have with you half of the time? The BHP would probably be the better option, just not sure how well i could conceal it as im not the biggest guy around. will have to go back to the shop have another look happy0065

User

I own a BHP and G17,to be honest I like carring the BHP more than G17 whp. Maybe it is because the BHP was my 1st pistol for many years before the G17. confused0083

User

Grey hound the answer is option c the whole brick you carry all the time ;D One of our members is a particularly small guy who can conceal a full size H&K USP. Concealability is within reason a state of mind. Get a decent holster an make the necessary adjustments to your wardrobe and you will manage.

If this i your first carry gun it doesn't matte what it is it will be a complete PITA until you get used to it. Some never make the effort and after a couple of days of carrying an uncomfortable piece of iron around give up and stick it in the safe. Others persevere and discover that as time goes by it seems to get more comfortable.

In the end it is your decision but as most of our budgets are limited and it may be a while before you can get a replacement make sure that you make the best choice under the circumstances. Do you want a seven or so shot pistol that is heavy for its size and difficult to find parts for that may be marginally easier to hide or one of the worlds classic pistols that will not give you difficulty in obtaining parts and will I can almost guarantee outshoot the star. I know which route I would go.

User

haha, i had a feeling you would say something about option c ;D Thanks for the advice. I also reread your piece on what to look for in an SD pistol. I will keep a look out for something else. Possibly the BHP. also thinking that i should maybe save some more and get a glock. decisions decisions....

User

i am a small guy and i can conceal a bhp whithout much pain. I love them,was it not for the gunlaw i would have had one in my safe. They are exelent handguns and carry very well in a iwb holster. My second choice would be a z88 or berretta 92 but it is more of a pain to conceal than the bhp. If i had to choice a metal frame 9mm to carry it would be a bhp whith beter sights and a extended safety

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast