Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Re: Fitting New Scope to Rifle Need of advice !!

Hi Guys

I Requested , a Gunsmith to Fit a New scope to my Rifle 8x57 mm mauser . he his providing
    a Leupold VX-1 4-12 x 40 , he his going to double check mounting taps ect , if drill an taps aligned 100z., or maybe
    be redrill retap....reblue ect....over the phone conversation... He his in TVL and i KZN.

his price for the scope and all the labour inclusive of fitment...= R 6400,00

He his one of the most reputable Gunsmiths in our land .

its my first time in this kinda issue..... am i making the RIGHT choice !!!!!!!......Can i go ahead and say Yes lets do
    it and kry kla !!!

kind regards
    Bull.

User

Default Re: Fitting New Scope to Rifle Need of advice !!

there is no perfect choice but rather each persons use for the scope and how comfortable they are with the scope. yesterday i went to safari and outdoor to compare the leopold vx1 3-9 x 40 to the bushnell elite 3-9x40 and for me the bushnell was easier on the eye so i went with that.....you need to compare a few scopes and see what works best for you..

thanks Yusuf !!
    great help...
    cheers , have a sweet weekend .

User

Bull, that seems like an awful lot of money considering the scope would probably only cost about half of that! I'm not sure what the VXI costs but it should be in the region of 3k.

Has the rifle previously been fitted with a scope? Was that scope accurate?

Seems like a lot of money to me to mount a scope (new scope bases and rings are about 1k and then the actual materials cost goes up to 4k, but still 2.4k for fitment).

Halo Meneer !!

Now , it makes sense !! thankyou !!! i really feel in my heart,,,,,,,,you truelly right about !!! what you stated !!!
    Thankyou so much ...for that...
    the rifle may had a scope sum time back...really not sure.....it has drills an taps for mounts.... another buddy of mine help me fit a
    cheap scope , that we found in his garage.. to see how it shoots.....but its a total mess up...i think he stated one hole was not
    accurately straight...i really never shot that rifle with that ugly scope... looks bad...
    Ja thats it..
    i want accuracy and a good scope ....the balance i will have to practise, reload ect..and get the rifle good enuf for a clean shot kill.

so where can i go to for in KZN ? any ideas ?

cheers
    once again thankyou!! for your reply.

User

I wouldn't buy that VX1. Compared 1 earlier this week to a Nikon Fieldmaster and the Nikon leaves that VX1 in the dust. The clarity on the Nikon is by far superior. The Nikon provides excellent value for money.

thanks Wes

appreciate that infor...

User

There was a thread about gunsmiths in Durban not too long ago. Think it was somewhere in the hunting section.

If your mounts aren't aligned (the drill and tap job) then you most likely need a gunsmith to check it out.

User

Quote Originally Posted by rboshoff View Post
    There was a thread about gunsmiths in Durban not too long ago. Think it was somewhere in the hunting section.

If your mounts aren't aligned (the drill and tap job) then you most likely need a gunsmith to check it out.
    I also think that it is better to go local so that you can have better contro; over the process. It is also easier to follow up if something is not quite right. Also just this comment, if the rifle has to be retapped for the scope, there will be a gunsmithing cost, but if not so then the mounting of a scope should not cost all that much. Often the shop where you purchase will mount the scope for you at a nominal fee or even for free as part of their after sales service. Drinns in Durban is a very reputable gunshop, perhaps you can try them.

Regards,
    JHN

User

Bull,

Take it through to Allan Henry. His workmanship is unbelievable, and he's right on our doorstep! Take your rifle through to him and let him have a look

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast