User

Default fluited barrel vs normal barrel

i was wondering about fluited barrels. Wat advantages do they over a normal barrel exept that they cool down faster and are lighter? Wil a medium weight fluited barrel be more acurate than a normal medium weight? Wat about a bull barrel, wil a heavely fluited bull barrel be more acurate than a standard bull and normal weight barrel. I was thinking of getting a fluited bull barrel in 6mm musgrave whith a recesed target crown but i i want it to weigh about the same as a normal weight barrel for the sake balance as the rifle wil have a synthetic stock.

Default Re: fluited barrel vs normal barrel

Fluting gives you the about the same stiffness as the same diameter barrel as the outside of the flutes with a reduction in weight, and a greater cooling surface.

User

so i should get a heavy 24 inch and have it fluited until it weighs the same as a standard weight barrel. This would then give me the accuracy of a heavy barrel,would be quick cooling AND weigh the same as standard weight,nice! I wil then have a accurate long range springbuk rifle that is light enough to carry in the mountaings and handy enough for the bakie and farm sd. Maybe i should consider a 22 or 23 inch barrel.

User

Did u get some bonus money now or are u just dreamen?

I have a SHR (Swiss Hunting Rifle) with fluted Bull Barrel (Blazer Factory) in .308 & interchangable Normal Barrel in 30-06...
    BUT .. Once you have ducked a few thorn bushes, you realize one thing ...
    Bushveld wants a light short 30-06 dont care a damn rifle, with dont care a damn Scope (Tasco R2000)
    and Lowveld Springbok & Kalahari Gemsbok might want a .308 Bull Barrel with Silencer and Top Notch Scope (VXIII R12000)
    Difficult thing is if you need to use on of those silencers that you pull over the barrel and then screw in, they dont seem to fit well over a fluted barrel..
    AND for targetshooting its great... Cools down nicely

All things said -- I will change my mind on a Remington 700 VTR .308 chuck the silencer idea and get 2 different scopes (Cheapy and one to show off with...)

User

no i can buy the barrel if i want to. It wil work out at 7k whith the fluiting. But im not going to,that money is going to sadpa,unisa,reloading equipment and a new stock. Before i rebarrel i want to 1st have a 375 built,get a shotgun and a s&w m&p or a sig sp2022. Otherwise i wil be whithout a kudu rifle. So it wil be in the next 10 years.

User

The accuracy is not going to be conjured up by fluting or heavy contour - It is going to depend on how the barrel is constructed, who manufactured it, how it was fitted to the receiver and the quality of the receiver and bolt and the final fitment of the lot.

User

Chops
    Greater cooling surface on a fluted barrel has been proven to be an icorrect statement -- Can give you some technical references if required
    Quicker cooling as for eg repetitive Target Shooting is achieved by shorter distance for heat to travel from inner barrel to outside to achieve increased dissapation...
    Test this with heated thin alluminium foil that cools down quicker than cast iron plate, as an example

Kumba
    Yes, yes, you are correct as usual...
    BUT Rifles with Bull barrels are a LOT less finicky and tempremental to loads as there is a lot less barrel resonation, etc

User

Gidsie I agree hpy180 on the same manufacturers normal contour barrel and heavy barrel one will be able to reap benefits with the HB over the normal.

Send me that info please, should be interesting reading. The tin foil versus cast iron analogy doesn't work, the different materials have different heat capacities and thermal conductivities, but I see the point you are trying to make.

User

This is one of the posts i want to refer to:
    http://www.snipercountry.com/Article...relFluting.asp