Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    User

Default Re: Blue Wildebeest - good to eat?

I feel compelled to close this thread off by feeding back (excuse the pun) some info on the BWB meat I got.
    I had the following made:
    wors
    patties
    droewors
    all 3 were EXCELLENT!
    I made a batch of biltong - also top notch. The only things left now will be the steaks and potjie meat and I will try those soon. I am UBER impressed by this meat - thanks to all you chaps for the advice. My sceptical wife is now a convert and a Blou Willebees is now on the menu every year. (It also delights me as a true Stormer to be able to shoot the "enemy" ha ha)

User

On a recent bike trip to Namibia, we purchased two frozen steaks at Seeheim near Keetmanshoop - one gemsbuck and one koedoe steak. That's what the lady there told us. We didn't know which was which. We braaid it on the coles the next couple of days.
    The one was terrible (according to my taste, as it had a very fine texture, and tasted similar to liver, which I don't eat.) The other steak however was much rougher in texture, and was delicious. Funny how they differ so much in taste.

Edit: sorry for the irrelevant hijack :-)

User

Gemsbuck has a very fine texture. Makes excellent DRY biltong. That is all I use it for.

Kudu meat is the better one for all purpose. Cook and dry.

User

I just did my first gemsbuck steaks over the coals today - brilliant! Not being a knowledgable game eater (always made biltong & DW) I decided to try something different.

I think the type of animal and the manner in which it was hunted counts for a lot. Mine was a young bull that was shot peacefully.

I also used salad dressing as my marinade - sweet chilli (the creamy variety). All I can say is no steak I've ever bought from the butcher has ever been as tender and absolutely no "gamey" taste!

Personally,I think that people who say Wildebeest is only good for biltong or droewors need their heads read or have to go for cooking lessons.I've made everything from braaied steaks to fried steaks and my wife cooks with venison for supper every night,including Wildebeest.If you don't hunt and prepare the meat properly,don't expect it to be veal.

User

When ever I bring a Blouwildebeest home, I am forbidden to cut any meat for biltong. Under my wifes watch full eye I cut the meat in to steaks, stews, roasts and so on. I put dried peaches and apricots into some of the wors. The lees (spelling) is used to make rolls again dried fruit in one and bacon in another and so on even cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by robmag View Post
    When ever I bring a Blouwildebeest home, I am forbidden to cut any meat for biltong. Under my wifes watch full eye I cut the meat in to steaks, stews, roasts and so on. I put dried peaches and apricots into some of the wors. The lees (spelling) is used to make rolls again dried fruit in one and bacon in another and so on even cheese.
    My wife does that to me with all the meat I bring home !!!!!!

User

Its great if your wifes buy into venison, alot of hunters out there have to consume everythingt themselves because there wifes refuse to eat venison.

My lady only objects to warthog, "if she is told that it is warthog"

What they don't know won't kill them.I have fed many people over many years venison, in many forms and they still come back and even buy from my "secret" butcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Does it get THAT lonely out in the bush?? Just give the PH a bottle of pink JC and some cheap roses and....

Running and ducking

:- P
    LMAO!!!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5