User

Default Ardesa .451Hawken

Hi everyone

I have now really become a blackpowder addict,went to go and buy primers for my .50 in the west rand.And the next thing the gunshop owner pulls out a Ardesa 451 Hawken,and immedeatly it was put onto my wish list...I asked how much it is going for,and he just said make me an offer.So I did and ended up buying it for R2500,and what a beaut she is.With all the copper work and handwork done on it,it has to be worth a lot more than R2500.Will post some pics as soon as I downloaded my camera.It has a very heavy barrel and I take it that it would be a very accurate.Does anyone own a .451 Ardesa Hawken and what is like to shoot it?

User

Default Re: Ardesa .451Hawken

This thread is useless without pics!

User

I know that there were some Ardesa Hawkens out with states 1-32 twist on the barrel but actually had a 1-16 twist barrel. These work well if you shoot paper patched bullets with a weight of about 500 grains. With a decent peep / tunnel sight it becomes a nice medium range plinker (300m).

When you place a tight fitting cleaning path and rem it down over a jag into the barrel and the rod makes two full complete turns before reaching the bottom, then you have a 1-16 twist barrel.

User

I am fortunate to have 2 of these. The first one is a 1/16 twist but 1/32 marked as per Mic's post. This is actually a .452 and is fitted with Lyman peep sights front and back. The second is an actual .451. This is a 1/20 twist as per the Henry rifling it carries. The Match version. This is very accurate due to the Henry rifling. This is fitted with DP peep on the back and the Lyman on the front. The normal Ardessa Hawken used to be 1/32 but the new model now is a 1/20. This is not classed as a .451. The 8 groove rifling is quite different to the Henry 7 groove rifling in the .451. This site shows both the new 1:20 versions, the normal and match. http://www.capnball.co.za/ardesa_rifles.htm The only problem I find is the very tight butt plate which is meant to be shot off the upper arm and with a 500gr target bullet and a good load for accuracy has a fair kick. Either way, if the rifle is in good nick, I think you got a good buy. It took me a while to develop decent loads for both rifles, but now both shoot well repetively at +100m distances. Please post pics especially of the barrel markings.