Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Complex Security - need advise

During the last six months or so we had a couple of break in's in houses and cars in our complex and over the weekend a women was held up in her house. Now the complex has got the normal security, a light here and there, electric fence and motorised gate that closes automatically. The body corporate/ Managing agent has now all of a sudden woken up and wants to do something to tighten up security and asked us owners to give some input. They (managing agent) suggested the following:

- get a guard (unarmed) that patrols during the night (Useless IMO)
    - more lights in communal property
    - and speed bumps (don't know what that's going to help??)

I know the best solution is to be armed and be prepared as well as you can possibly be!!

Can anyone perhaps help with some tips or info that I can forward to them??

Thanking you in advance!

User

Default Re: Complex Security - need advise

Speed bumps hahaha some people are thick hey!

How about some CCTV on entrance gate and other strategic places?

Bin the unarmed guard and get an armed guard.

alternatively a neighbourhood watch type system?

User

Don't underestimate the value of the presence of a security guard doing patrols. Sure, unarmed isn't ideal, but the fact that you have someone walking the grounds does help.

Get them to put some of the lights on motion sensors. Not only will it save some $$$ for when they aren't in use, but having a big bright light suddently switching on might draw the attention of said security guard, especially at 02h00 in the morning when everyone should be sleeping.

CCTV in the public areas might help, not only as a deterrent, but also to capture footage to be used as evidence, or to help with an investigation.

Suggest they put some spikes on the walls between the units (if applicable). You get some very discreet ones that don;t make the units look like prison cells.

Depending on how the units are grouped, make a point to get to know your neighbor and the people living around you. This might not be something the Body Corporate can/will help with, but for your own safety and security, get to know the people who should (and shouldn't) be in your neck of the woods.

- security gaurd/s with panic button
    - More lights on the perimeter and dark spots.
    - Get a contract with one security company to do the armed response of all the units , and then arrange for them to patrol 2 - 3 x times per night.

User

I'd make sure that the guards have all had back round checks. There is nothing better than a guy with a master "key". CCTV is going to be the best. Simple things like make sure the gate has closed before you drive off helps.

User

I agree with cerop...

The most important thing, is to get to know your fellow resident... and create a "community" within the complex.

Look out for each other, and be vigilant... get to know your neighbors habits, so you are able to pick up something when it may be "out of place"\out of the norm...

User

Our complex does NOT have a guard at all. I think having any guard is a massive weak point in your defense.

I still maintain that when I was robbed in my previous complex, about 4 years ago, that the security guards were involved. The burglars carried all my stuff down three flights of stairs and loaded it into their car, all within 30 metres of the security hut at the entrance. Also, the complex was supposed to have access control. For your info, the security company was COIN SECURITY, and they never responded to my letter of complaint in this regard.

ANYWAY, in terms of suggestions, the CCTV camera at the entrance is a good idea. Also, some kind of access control such as an intercom that dials to the resident's cell phone and the resident can open using the cell phone buttons. Definitely not foolproof but in a small complex like mine, it has been successful so far. I think its just as important to not forget that you need to still follow full security measures regarding your own unit (i.e buglar proofing, alarm, separating the sleeping quarters from the rest of the house, being situationally aware at all times).

User

For everybody's information:

A couple of years ago we went to Krugersdorp's prison
    and talked to violent criminals. Asking them why they targeted
    complexes and houses with good fences, they said that
    you, the owner, are putting up such security to protect
    something.

That's why in my time in the reaction units in the police,
    I did more violent crime scenes in secure complexes than
    at open property.

If you're going to get cameras, get GOOD cameras. One big thing I see in the states is cheap-o surveillence camera setups that are either broken down half the time or the screen grabs from which could never be used to actualiy ID anyone. This is not an area to go 'low bid' with IMO.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I live in a complex in Weltevredenpark also.

Electric fence, connected to an alarm, if fence is tampered with alarm goes of.
    Motorized gate, include a cage for the motor, as well as something that prevents the gate from being lifted.
    - ours was lifted and a car stolen.
    Try to at least know your direct neighbor, exchange contact details.
    We have a contract with ADT, we can phone anytime, and they'll send a driver. (however from what I've seen, a single guy rocks up in a car, poor guy can't be very save himself as he has no direct backup)
    Also know your local sector are no. mine is sector 2, get the sector vehicle direct number, as well as any possible CPF patrol no for your area. We have a DCS security vehicle paroling the neighborhood at all times with a cellphone on him.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast