Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default First time owner, got myself a g19

Hi all,

Decided to take advantage of the Southern Arms special before it ran out and got myself a glock 19. Very happy with my purchase so far, though I've only put 50 rounds through the thing. Going to get my comp soon and kick off the long, arduous process of getting licensed...

Just a quick Q, the first 2 times I put the mag in, it disengaged and slid out partially when I racked it (no bullet was chambered). I did pull on it to check if it was seated properly before I racked both times, and it was; also, my thumb wasn't touching the release. Thereafter I hit the mag pretty hard to make sure it was seated and it didn't do that again. Would I be correct in thinking that because everything is new and shiny, this happened because it still needs to "break in"?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm very new to guns obviously, and I'm still catching up on my research.

User

Default Re: First time owner, got myself a g19

Congrats on a nice FA ;-)

I suspect that you may have not "whacked" the mag in hard enough... it is something that is learned the hard way (and hopefully the lesson is only taught when you are practicing, and not when it really counts)... practice it until it becomes second nature (with an empty mag and FA of course).

Wit your index finger running along the front of the mag (to assist with locating the mag well), insert top 10%\guide the top of mag into mag-well, and then in one fluid motion, push the mag in the rest of the way with the ball of your hand (you can release your fingers at this point)... but put some "oomph" behind it, to ensure that you get a nice audible "whack"\click sound when the mag seats. When you pull on the mag to check if it is seated properly, don't do it like a little girl (jokes)... put some effort into it...

My wife also took advantage of the special at SA, and also went for the G19 - and did exactly what you described above (not getting the mag to seat properly) when test-firing a "sample" GLOCK... rack... oops... no mag?

User

Enjpy, had the same probelm when i first got my 19! Best you practice so you don't land up in a trcky situation!

User

G19's should be the manditory first for anyone looking for a pistol. I got mine a couple of months back after resisting plastic for 15 years. I'll hit the 1000 mark this week-end. Had one issue with a reload. A single FTF which I'm blaming on ammo. I bought it as a practical SD gun. I bought a 17G4 for sport today.

I also have one.

User

G19 for the win! you can't go wrong with it! Congrats!

User

Thanks guys; looking forward to getting my license. Based on my research I think I'll be getting myself an MTAC holster and a good solid lindsay ross gunbelt.
    Glad to know it's not just me re mag issue :D

Now I just need to figure out how to afford lots of ammo >_<

Cairbre is awefully close to carebear.... :-D

Just kidding!

The 19 is great! Went for a 17 because it fitted my hand better. With Glock you can't go wrong!

User

Quote Originally Posted by h0stag3 View Post
    Cairbre is awefully close to carebear.... :-D

Just kidding!

The 19 is great! Went for a 17 because it fitted my hand better. With Glock you can't go wrong!
    It's pronounced completely different, but most of my mates call me carebear anyways :D
    A 17 also fits my hand better, but I decided on the 19 as it's slightly easier to conceal. Maybe I'll get a 22 in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairbre View Post
    It's pronounced completely different, but most of my mates call me carebear anyways :D
    A 17 also fits my hand better, but I decided on the 19 as it's slightly easier to conceal. Maybe I'll get a 22 in the future.
    I know :-D , but is fun nonetheless!

That was the exact reason I wanted the 19, but alas, 17 it was

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast