Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Backpack / rugsack for walk and stalk

Any suggestions for a suitable backpack?

I find many too small for me (6'2" 126kg). I want it to be able to take the usual paraphanalia like water, torch, extra ammo, my jacket when it warms up etc.

Banned

Default Re: Backpack / rugsack for walk and stalk

Hello Andrew,

I got myself one of the 'old' army kidney pouches. I like the kidney pouches, they ride on your hips and do not tire one's back. They are also designed to not get stuck in dense bush and the material is tough. The only things on the side of it are the ammo pouches, which can be removed if you don't want to use them, I use mine for the things you need to have at hand *cough* like ammo... and biltong.

I modified it a bit and fitted a camel back between the shoulder straps. The hose comes round the left side because I shoot right and fits snugly into the top front ring. Nothing irritates me more to have to undress to get to something and having a drink when you want to cannot get easier than this.

By bending slightly forward you pressurize the water reservoir and if you press the mouth piece you get a squirt of water, very handy to rinse a knife or wash your hands, so remember the small towl. It also works excellent to prevent dehydration by adding rehydration powder to the water that would replace the mineral salts you sweat out.

I also bought another multi zipped cammo carry type thing with lots of pockets and zips in it - probably from China. This fits nicely on the kidney pouches and I made it so it clips onto the kidney pouches, also on the back.

The camel back has this huge blue lid where you add water (what were they thinking) and it was sticking out on top. My brother-in-law gave me some of his old kit and it had a small canvas with two clips that I just clipped again onto the kidney pouches and it covers the blue thing. I think one used to put the two man tent canvas you shared with your buddy in it in the military (hey it was a long time ago !), but it will work for anything else you want to strap in there.

I also made a kydex knife sheath that I tied to the left front strap so the knife hangs handle down and can be reached quickly if required. It may seem somewhat rambo like, but it wears very handy like that. I'm not too fond of fiddeling with a belt sheath that can swing around and clips that get stuck.

So everything is very streamlined to either in front of you or at the back of you, movement is free and the most used items is right at hand.

Another thing I like to do is to tie a piece of cord from the rifle butt sling to the kidney pouch belt just long enough to carry comfortably and so you can still shoot freely.

This string serves several purposes and don't laugh, many an oke forgot his rifle against a tree in the excitement of the kill when it gets loaded on the bakkie and off he goes.

No one can take and use your own rifle against you in a conflict situation, and it is also pretty useless if a crisis situation develops where you end up in a tree and the rifle is on the ground with an angry animal staring you down. LOL even worse if he tries to shoot you out the tree with it. (I'm sure the absent third hand was an oversight when man was created ;-)

Lastly, if the kidney pouches are well planned and packed, when you sit to rest it will provide a basic support for the lower back, which is more comfortable than just sitting.

That reminds me I still have to make a SS protection frame for the camera that would keep the camera from getting squished inside the kit. If you would forgive me for elaborating the point, I think a camera is essential. Once you killed all the animals you wanted, it is sometimes a good thing to spend time to admire them also by shooting them with a camera, and I mean the live ones. We sometimes and probably too often take living things for granted...

Banned

Sorry I forgot to mention. The later recce ruchsacks are quite large (and nice) if you need to pack a tent, bedding, gas bottles and the likes in it :-o It is also designed to ride on top of the kidney pouches. Too large for me though.

User

I have this kidney bag. It is re-enforced and has ample pockets. It also has straps under the bag so that you can roll up and strap your jacket to the bottom. Works very well and has ample space. Also, because it rests on top of your bum and in the hollow of your back instead of high up on your back, it takes alot of strain off your shoulders.

http://www.basspro.com/Badlands-Mons...ct/99883/38195

Great replies gents. Fanie I think you created what Michael bought and it sounds awesome, unfortunately and as per usual I have left everything to the last minute and will have to buy.

Michael did you order form the States or local?

Fanie, could you perhaps upload a pic of that setup? It sounds pretty good.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Fanie, could you perhaps upload a pic of that setup? It sounds pretty good.
    +1

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Great replies gents. Fanie I think you created what Michael bought and it sounds awesome, unfortunately and as per usual I have left everything to the last minute and will have to buy.

Michael did you order form the States or local?
    Ordered from the States. If you know someone there get BassPro post it to him/her and then ask him/her to post it to you.

You might also want to consider the Camelbak products. The have a whole range of backpacks with hydration bladders included, from no cargo options to quite large bags. If you are in the Pretoria area try Military and Security and if in Johannesburg give TacShac a call. I know both have bags in stock.

The Camelbak products are not the cheapest but I have found them to be of very good quality and also very cleverly designed.

I like to have my Glock on my hip when I hunt and have tried different configurations and finally settled on the Delta 5 Tactical vest. You can see more info about it here: http://www.camelbak.com/Military-Tac...ical-Vest.aspx

My reasons for choosing the vest were as follows:
    - It allows me to wear my handgun in my standard position.
    - I can customize it to suit my requirements, whether it be minimal stuff or maximum sh!t
    - I can get to most items I need without taking the vest off
    - 3L of water is available on tap and I can drink on the move
    - If I don't put pouches on the back I can add a standard backpack for multi day outings in the bush

I used the vest on my hunt last year and adjusted and changed things as I went along until I found the ideal setup for myself. I found the setup to be very comfortable, everything easily accessible and nice and quiet during stalking. Opinions may vary but I find the vest setup to work well for me.

Hippacks are great, but should you need to tote more stuff for any reason - I like this pack:
    http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-.../dp/B003DW6SZS

We got one from Safari and Outdoor for a hunting buddy of ours - it is really quite neat, and has the facility for a hydration bladder, which is a good way to carry water (i.e. like Camelback config).

Sweet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast