Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: 2-7 x 33 Redfield for .375H&H???

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.375 View Post
    The QD's will help IF i ever need to follow up on large game in thick bush at close range and quickly detach the scope for this.

I have a new perspective of the variable scope now, as you said the weak link is the variable aspect as it is a moving part, never saw it that way.

...............to avoid an unexpected turn of events in the middle of a hunting trip (let alone while guiding a client on a pg hunt where I would need the scope for back up work).
    OK, I get the need for QD. As for durability, I have strong (and very much minority) views. I must be cautious because I never hunted much and it was long ago, so I can't tell experienced hunters what they should do. My opinions are based on practical issues. Scope failure on the range is just inconvenient but can be disastrous in the field. Dr Willie Barnard who contributes to Gunsite, regularly hunts on the Zambia side of the Zambezi valley. He has to use a borrowed Brno rifle, and told me how, on the first shot of a hunt, an internal lens of the budget priced scope came unglued. On his next visit he took a better quality scope which has served well in the several years since.

Mark De Haas was a Marine sniper in Vietnam. He said that on one occasion ten out of seventeen rifles in one unit were out of service, all because of the scopes, and mostly because of the variable feature. The Marines were then using an off the shelf Rem Model 700 heavy barrel with a commercial Redfield 3-9x32 scope. De Haas concedes that the scope would probably serve a lifetime of civilian use without trouble, but the lesson is clear. The variable feature was useless anyway, as all snipers left it at 9x, and it is noteworthy that the marines later adopted a rugged fixed 10x scope made by John Unertl.

Somewhere I have a report of a variable of reputable make that shifted point of impact 6" at 100 yards when cranked up from 3x to 9x. That has nothing to do with durability, but doesn't say much in favour of variables. That is of course what can happen with second focal plane reticles. Unfortunately that's what scope makers offer because that's what shooters want.

I am surprised that some militaries have more recently adopted 5-25x50 variables. I can understand 25x but not the variable part. Even worse, they seem to prefer the second focal plane reticle. But they can afford the expensive hand fitting that eliminates the faults that such scopes otherwise have.

Finally, I have the story from a guy well up in the firearms world, of his visit to a rifle manufacturer. The rifles all fire a test group before shipping. QD mounts were used so that the scopes could quickly be transferred from one rifle to the next. Those scopes get more use in a month than most get in a lifetime. When he asked why the scopes were all a particular make, he was told that it had proved to be the most durable, and that several expensive European scopes had come unglued.

My philosophy is to put trouble free equipment ahead of other considerations. 6x magnification should be enough for pretty much anything. I'd be inclined towards a Leupold fixed 6x33 if such is available. But hey, I did say I have a minority opinion.

User

I have decided on a Leupold VX1 3-9x40. Getting it tomorrow at VLT with stud rings(fixed mounts- QD later). What I will do to avoid any problems of the POA being shifted is to first test it on the range by zeroing in at 100m with 9x then dialing down to 6X then 3x and after discharging a few rounds at the magnifications at the same distance I will be able to see if it has shifted(I doubt it will shift). When I am hunting in bush I will keep it at 6X constantly and forget about the variable capability of the scope. But when I need to take a shot that requires less or more magnification I will use the variable feature, and such an option will be valuable for a normal biltong hunter as well as a ph. So instead of constantly playing around with the variable feature I will simply keep it at 6x until an unavoidable shot distance comes into play. I used a variable Lynx on a .375 for ten years and never had any problems so I trust todays technology will hold up especially as the scope and rifle won't be used every second day all day like they are in the military. A 6X33 is also more expensive if I remember correctly.

I thank you gents for your input and advice as it has helped me a great deal in deciding what to get for my rifle...

Banned

Saw on one of the other post a reference to an article on scope adjustments in general. The advice was to run in your scope - adjust the variable power from min to max - he suggests 100 operations. This he claims will make it smoother and will remove any burrs - all types of scopes benefit with this practice. The other is to turn the turrets from high to lowest and left to right adjustment to also achieve smoother adjustments and eliminate jumps.

Reading through the SA Hunter magazine I see that www.toolfair.co.za are agents for EAW mounts (www.eaw.de). Might mean better price?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Those scopes get more use in a month than most get in a lifetime. When he asked why the scopes were all a particular make, he was told that it had proved to be the most durable, and that several expensive European scopes had come unglued.
    What make of scope was this?

User

I bought the scope: Leupold VX1 3-9X40 brand new, plus the rings were lapped, the scope fitted, columnated...all included no charge - VLT Arms.

Total expenditure was R2604.00 (bought a bullet-belt for the butt @ R123) Great deal. Now I can afford an extra box of bullets with the R400 left over.

One thing about the Leupold, its not only the evident quality, but the beauty no matter what model - its a great looking scope. I am happy with the scope and the way it fits the rifle and me. Fixed stud ring mounts. Only thing is now I have been invited to attend the BASA shoot on Saturday 12 May and the person who invited me is going to sponsor me too! Now I hope the 3x will suit the events, as I was there last year and the shoots are simulated to be close dg type: charging buffalo etc at close range...hope the 3x wont be too much magnification, but im sure it will all be a 'blast' anyway!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    What make of scope was this?
    If I were going to answer that I would have done so in my previous post. Is it not obvious why I didn't ?

User

Nikon monarch 2-8 bdc on my 9.3 x 62...loving it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3