Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: LEFT EYE BUT RIGHT HAND?

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I dont agree with accuracy loss on longer shots. I shot silhouette before I discovered IPSC and never had problems with accuracy. Not with pistol or rifle.
    One eye closed ?

I really hope I don't have accuracy or any other problems with my right hand/left eye technique....since I carry on my right hip,it will be a huge problem having to use my left hand....that would mean buying a new (left handed) holster and feeling comfortable with the pistol in my left hand...which I can't see happening...

User

Quote Originally Posted by gwj DICKDEKOCK View Post
    I really hope I don't have accuracy or any other problems with my right hand/left eye technique....since I carry on my right hip,it will be a huge problem having to use my left hand....that would mean buying a new (left handed) holster and feeling comfortable with the pistol in my left hand...which I can't see happening...
    Dude... with a pistol, and at effective pistol range (out to 50m) I do not believe you will have an issue. Don't stress it.

This, at about 9-10 meters.
    IMG-20120223-00273.jpg

And this at about 20 metres.

IMG-20120223-00272.jpg

And... I have gotten better (not blowing my own trumpet here, just so you know )

Practice!

You should however, practice "weak hand" (being your left hand) shooting as well, and\or one-handed shooting(both\either hand). You never know when your strong hand might be imobile\injured\useless, or when you are unable to use your support hand.
    Last edited by Psychosis; 26-04-2012 at 20:54.

Point taken....that man is DEAD!!!

User

@414 one eye closed with rifle, both open with pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    @414 one eye closed with rifle, both open with pistol.
    So long as you can actually close the one eye and keep it closed, you will be fine. Keep in mind, however that many cannot do this, and if the 'master' eye takes over during firing...and it can...that is when you will see long gun shots go astray. Seen it many, many times in training over the past 40 or so years.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Well, it seems that I am going to have to 'relearn' some things. I had a small disagreement with my circular saw yesterday, and lost bits of my middle and ring fingers on my strong (right) hand.

Am fine though, just thought I would put it out there... How many guys shooting with similar disability?

Banned

Right (), so I didn't think this would be my first post after the introduction, but hell, after spending much of that last day reading this forum, this has by far been he most useful thread to me!

I was diagnosed with a keratekonus in my right eye when I was 16. At the time, my dad was getting into firearms again after a fairly long break (suspect all the young lighties had something to do with it..), and we regularly visited both the indoor and outdoor ranges (there was a great one near Blouberg IRRC). I enjoyed the shooting, but as my right eye's vision deteriorated, I just couldn't see anymore, and shooting lefty was a bizarre experience, I just could not do it. All of this coincided with that really shitty rebellious stage (how I wish I could go back and give myself a PK!), and I decided guns are shit and I don't want to shoot. Never even picked up the pistol again.

Fast forward to last week, and my dad offered me that same pistol. He hasn't used it since, and it's been in it's box in the safe since around 1999 or so. The one thing I've been worried about is shooting right handed with my left eye. I was terrible with the rifle like this (and was pretty accurate before), and I've tried pellet guns since, but never got super comfortable shooting lef-thanded, though my accuracy improved enough to partake in a few rat hunts when I was at uni.

Not having access to a pistol to see how I shoot has had me questioning whether I'm doing the right thing taking the Glock, but if loads of other guys are doing it, it must be possible, and I'll give it a bash!

Cross eye dominance is not at all unusual. It is a much bigger issue with long guns than handguns. Take the Glock and thank your lucky stars your dad cares about you.

With the long gun you will either have to shoot from the left shoulder or else maybe use a RDS mounted forward far enough that it can help compensate...probably the former.

Good luck!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3