Default Views on various sd 9mm calibers

hi... dont know if this as been asked before...

wats your take on using 9mm short(9x17) or 9x18 or 9x23 as a sd caliber...

or...

is 9x19 the "lowest" caliber to "depend on" ito sd?

maybe if you guys could give a rating of them from 1-10.

thanks

User

Default Re: Views on various sd 9mm calibers

I can't comment on the 9x18 or 9x23 as I have no experience with them.

The 9mm short tends to have a problem with poor penetration. This is particularly evident with JHP ammo. Often multiple hits are required. Sure, the 9mmS is still deadly, its just not as reliable as some of the other calibres. As the 9mmS is usually found in the smaller "pocket pistols" with 6/7 round capacity this can be a problem, especially with multiple attackers. The answer would seem to be a high capacity 9mmS such as the CZ83 but if you are looking for a carry gun you can find a compact 9mmP of similar size.

User

Default Re: Views on various sd 9mm calibers

9x17 and 9x18 are considered either the very bottom edge of acceptable or just below by most. Either IMHO should only be loaded with ball for SD but i would far prefer something better. I would also pick a .38 Spl over either of these personally.

9x23 has very impressive ballistics but ammo availability will be problematic. It is also pretty much a 1911 calibre and once again IMHO the 1911 is best matched in .45 ACP

User

From what I understand the 9x18 and standard load .38 Spl have very similar ballistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Analyst View Post
    From what I understand the 9x18 and standard load .38 Spl have very similar ballistics.
    Depends on what you call 'similar' as well as barrel length. A 'standard' 158gr RNL or SWC lead bullet will clock around 750FPS from a nominal 2in barrel and uses both a heavier bullet as well as one slightly more effective (lead). But when we look at .38Spl +P performance, things change radically.

I have chrono'd the old 158gr LSWCHP+P 'FBI' load at well over 800fps from several snubbies over the years, and the new Speer 135gr GD +P load takes advantage of the latest bullet design at velocities of between 900 and 950FPS. Up the barrel length and velocities increase. No way the 9x18 is close round for round.

However, a lightweight snubbie using these +P loads is a handful to shoot, and slow to reload, not to mention it only holds 5 rounds. Great for pocket guns and backup use but no way I use one as my main SD gun. Of course, I wouldn't use a Mak either unless I had to. 95gr at 1000fps does not give me a warm and fuzzy.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Here's a good read.

BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums

.380 ACP = 9x17

Handguns chambered in .380 ACP are small, compact, and generally easy to carry. Unfortunately, testing has shown that they offer inadequate performance for self-defense and for law enforcement use whether on duty as a back-up weapon or for off duty carry. The terminal performance of .380 ACP JHP's is often erratic, with inadequate penetration and inconsistent expansion being common problems, while .380 ACP FMJ's offer adequate penetration, but no expansion. All of the .380 ACP JHP loads we have tested, including CorBon, Hornady, Federal, Remington, Speer, and Winchester exhibited inconsistent, unacceptable terminal performance for law enforcement back-up and off duty self-defense use due to inadequate penetration or inadequate expansion. Stick with FMJ for .380 ACP or better yet, don't use it at all. The use of .380 ACP and smaller caliber weapons is really not acceptable for law enforcement use and most savvy agencies prohibit them.

While both the .380 ACP and .38 sp can obviously be lethal; the .38 sp is more likely to incapacitate an attacker when used in a BUG role.