Banned

Default 5 years for horn trader

From here:

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-cour...ader-1.1283635

5 years for horn trader

April 25 2012 at 12:01pm
    By Jade Witten

Mark Goldberg during an earlier court appearance.
    Photo: Leon Lestrade

INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS

Sea Point curio shop owner Mark Goldberg has been sentenced to an effective five years in jail for the illegal possession and sale of ivory items worth more than R30 million.

But his sentence has been put on ice pending his appeal against his conviction and sentence in the Western Cape High Court.

Cape Town Regional Court magistrate Wilma van der Merwe sentenced Goldberg on Tuesday to seven years, with two years suspended for the next five years on condition he was not convicted of a similar offence.

Van der Merwe convicted him of three counts of possession of African elephant ivory without a permit and two counts of selling the items. In July, Van der Merwe rejected Goldberg’s defence that he was only the manager of the Gift House Curio Shop in Sea Point, which was owned by his mother, Sonja Marcus. When Marcus died, Goldberg inherited the business.

CapeNature officials raided the curio shop in 2009 and found 43 905 ivory items, including necklaces, earrings and ivory stamps.

In handing down sentence, Van der Merwe said Goldberg had been convicted of an “exceptionally serious crime”.

Immediately after the sentence, Goldberg’s lawyer, advocate Reuben Liddell, brought an application for leave to appeal, saying the sentence was “excessive”.

He added that a fine coupled with a suspended sentence would have been appropriate.
    State advocate Rashied Daniels objected to the application, saying the sentence was just.

But Van der Merwe granted Goldberg leave to appeal and reinstated his bail of R50 000.

One condition was attached to his bail: he must notify the investigating officer if he plans to leave the country. Van der Merwe said he would have to supply a full itinerary of his stay abroad and contact details.

Cape Argus

jade.witten@inl.co.za

User

Default Re: 5 years for horn trader

Horn = Ivory?

Jade needs a lesson in animal anatomy.

User

horn trader

vs.

...possession of African elephant ivory...

So which one is it then?

Guess labeling it "horns" will sell more papers at present, eh?
    Last edited by JS4; 25-04-2012 at 15:26. Reason: SNAP!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Either way........lock him up

User

Quote Originally Posted by marshy View Post
    Either way........lock him up
    Yeah... I'm kinda with you... but what about all the other stalls and curio shops stocking the same? Oh, no - don't worry, they get deported. Every Christmas and Easter, again and again. Helps with the supply chain you see...
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]