Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Musgrave .243

User

Default Re: Musgrave .243

Sorry guys just reread my orignal post, one zero too much ( it seems one cant get anything these days under a K ) R 650-00 for my little beaut. Great to hear that not everyone is destroying their firearms and some people would rather hand a rifle to a hunter than a smelter.

I am green with envy about ALL of the deals you guys got.
    Hope the bargains keep flooding in.

User

Using my Musgrave 243 with 100gr Sierra prohunters to shoot Fallow Deer in the Napier area on Sat - hope to have a good day - been looking forward to it for a long time now! Lekker braai in the kliphuisie afterwards with a Klipdriffie for the onthaal! Ag man dis lekker in Afrika! hpy71 hpy180

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dave schenck
    Using my Musgrave 243 with 100gr Sierra prohunters to shoot Fallow Deer in the Napier area on Sat - hope to have a good day - been looking forward to it for a long time now! Lekker braai in the kliphuisie afterwards with a Klipdriffie for the onthaal! Ag man dis lekker in Afrika! hpy71 hpy180
    Lekker Dave! The farm where you shoot the fallow deer, is it a private farm or are general hunters allowed to hunt there? I know that there are a shitload of fallow deer in the area but the farmers don't seem to be enthusiastic to market fallow deer hunting in the area?! ???

User

Dave,
    Do you know if "Lewies"(sp) the tracker is still there? He seemed to know the fallow deer by first name!
    The Kliphuisie had a seerious donkey which was stoked in the evening. Having a HOT shower after coming in from the mountain in the evening made you look like a freshly cooked crayfish
    Haven't been there for a while.. :(

User

Hey Thomas - Lewies is still there - good old bugger. The kliphuisie has been renovated - cannot wait to see it. We are lucky to still go as most hunting there is now off! Ja - there is a shitload of deer there. Some massive stags if you are into trophies. Will post next week on the availability to general public once I have spoken the the farmer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dave schenck
    Will post next week on the availability to general public once I have spoken the the farmer.
    Cool, thanks. If not to the general public then hopefully a select few... grn1

User

Lewies would say "Die bokke eet mak kos"
    The Fallow deer I shot in that area tasted much nicer than ones shot in the Karoo. What they eat certainly makes a difference.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAST
    The Fallow deer I shot in that area tasted much nicer than ones shot in the Karoo. What they eat certainly makes a difference.
    More importantly (taste-wise) is what you shoot, where you shoot it and when you shoot them in relation to the rut.  You want to shoot that stag at least a month before the rut (which was a few months ago).  During the rut the meat of a sexually mature stag tastes funky and after the rut the animal has lost condition and fat.  If you're going to shoot a fallow deer now and you're hunting solely for the venison then rather shoot a doe (preferably a maiden doe) or a spiker or young buck.  Fawns should have weaned by now and the does should be in prime condition prior to breeding time, which is now(ish).  Happy hunting and don't forget to take and post photos!

User

photos will follow - promise!

User

here is one from a previous hunt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast