Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Musgrave .243

Default Re: Musgrave .243

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot
    Just bought (in my opinion) the bargain of 2009. Brand new- Yes BRAND NEW musgrave .243. The rifle belonged to an oom that passed away before he could use it, it was inherited by his wife who does not hunt. She either had to sell it or destroy it and viola - me with a brand new Musgrave!

It has a Lyttleton action and the smittie I took it to confirmed that the rifle has done little too no work. The woodwork is flawless and by the looks of it, it was one of Oom Ben's deluxe rifles.

Price R 6500-00

Where's the emotiocon for me being as happy as a pig in palestine? happy0065
    Hi Dave!

I also bought a spotless Musgrave in 243Win a couple of months ago. Can you post a picture of that Lyttleton action? It seem to be impossible to find detailed info about these Musgrave rifles, their actions and barrels.

Hein Mostert

User

OK - so I went to shoot Fallow Deer and now I am back - with photos as promised. (This posting might need to be moved - dear Mr Moderator, I will not be offended!) It was VERY windy indeed (profanities not allowed on this site!) - gosh, golly gee, oh my goodness, what a strong wind!!! IT BLEW LIKE SHIT ALL F@#$ING DAY! At least the rain held off till evening by which time we had fortified ourselves from the inside ;D. The hunting was difficult because of the wind and animals were scarce - all taking shelter. We saw a few herds but they were skittish and it was not till later int the day that I stalked to within 100m of a large herd and took a fair size doe. The 100gr Sierra Prohunter blew the top of the heart off and exited - the deer went down 20 m later. The second one was a bit of luck! I had crouched down to give my mate the best chance at a deer - he went forward and could not see as the deer moved in behind us so I took the shot out of the shoulder. Not the best shot but I got it quite high in the shoulder and broke the spine - she went down hard. I am loading the 100gr prohunters with 44gr S385 and the bullets are molycoated and touch the lands - CCI BR primers and Sako brass. I have also attached a photo of the general terrain - many deer are also shot on the open lands making stalking challenging. All in all a great day and I will be back in the spring for another round this time for my son to shoot one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Nice!
    A friend of mine uses knee & elbow protectors (rollerblade type) when he hunts there - he is more on his belly than standing. When approaching a herd its like approaching a radar unit with 30 radar dishes aimed at you and lord help you if you make a mistake.
    How many fallow deer are still on the farm? A while ago they were culling the herds from a helicopter at the end of the season to reduce the numbers, they breed like rabbits!

User

They reckon about 350+ - causing havoc with crops and fences!! They are also seeing a lot of grey Ribbok and Bushbuck. Protectors is the way to go but you can get lucky! A night in the bokhuis was great!

Not sure where to put this but being forced to check or read a thread or link before choosing my personal actions does not smack of a democratic website and greatly offends me when the posting is so selective of offered information.Not every one is in the dark as far as goings on are concerned.Thought this was a general forum and not one mans opinion and soap box.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ossy View Post
    Not sure where to put this but being forced to check or read a thread or link before choosing my personal actions does not smack of a democratic website and greatly offends me when the posting is so selective of offered information.Not every one is in the dark as far as goings on are concerned.Thought this was a general forum and not one mans opinion and soap box.
    Ossy - what are you going on about here? Are you in the right place?

User

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAST View Post
    Speaking of sweet deals: I was at the local DFO when a rifle was about to be handed in for destruction. It looked good, so I convinced the previous owner and the DFO that I apply for a license. They both agreed (yes, miracles do happen)
    On closer inspection it turned out to be a Mauser Sporter, cal 8X57S, built by Josef Winlker, Ferlach Austria. Double set triggers, engraving and all!
    Paperwork went in on Wednesday.
    Price? zip, zero, nada. (I did offer to pay)
    Still can't believe my luck.
    I am taking a week off to hang around at the DFO!

to revive this thread. I'm going to look at a musgrave 243 this week that is apparently in amazing condition and the owner has done some work on the action etc. Will try get some more details. Here's a pic. They want R9k with the scope
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3