Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default April 2012 Hunting trip, long post

We were invited to hunt a private non commercial farm in the Eastern Cape which turned out to be about 20km's NW of Utenhage. I was excited as this was to be the first hunt that my CZ550 .30-06 would hopefully get "blooded" and also I had spent a lot of time on the range developing accurate loads for my rifle so it was time for all these to come together.

For the hunt I bought a Leupold RX750 and Vanguard Quest T62U shooting sticks. I never used either in an actual hunt as there simply was no time to deploy sticks or to range the animals. They were all also close enough that it was not necessary. What I did find out though was that my distance judging is atrocious, the sticks are awesome. So both were not purchased in vain.

Not fully knowing what to expect (other than thick bush) I had loaded 180gr. Sierra Game Kings in front of 52.8gr. S365 with Russian LMR primers.

When we were collected from PE Airport at midday on the Thursday we were told that rains were expected for the next two days, which we had confirmed, and that we had better get most our hunting done that very afternoon. We did not get time to check the rifles or to fire fouling shots due to the time constraints. After a quick lunch Dreyer (the farms owner) loaded us in to the back of the Cruiser. I soon realised that there was to be no walk and stalk here one simply could not see through the bush, it was impenetrable. You either shot them while they stood in the road or if you were lucky and they were in a clearing.

Soon we came across a nice Kudu bull, but he was off quickly. Then we saw a nice Kudu bull that was standing facing us at about 60m. I did not need any encouragment, after the command "vat hom" came and shot for the centre of the chest. I was standing on the back of the Cruiser, on top of the spare wheel, on tip toes and even then could only see some of his chest. It was a difficult shot out of the hand. The bull turned and ran and then we started looking for him. I knew I had hit him good and that he would not run far. We eventually found him about 20m away but he was well hidden.

Attachment 7166

The bullet entered the lower right of the bulls chest, the wound channel through the chest was about 30mm in diameter and the bullet stayed in the body but we were unable to recover it. There was extremely little meat damage.

Attachment 7167

The bull on quick measurement was 43.5" and the horns are symmetrical. The skinners said that the dressed weight was about 150kg. The Kudu had a huge neck which alone weighed 30kg. I will be skull mounting the horns. I am really pleased with my first Kudu bull and most greatfull for the opportunity to shoot this wonderfull animal.

We then loaded the bull and headed off after some Impala. My first shot was at about 180m, the only shot I had was up the rear end. I hit the ram in the butt just left of its anus, it was mortally wounded and simply refused to go down and needed to be despatched by a head shot when we got closer, how it stayed up was a mystery. I was dissapointed that he did no go down in immediately.

The game was really spooked due to the previous weeks hunting and finding clear shots was difficult. We eventually came around a corner and in a clearing was a young Impala ram not 20m away and facing diagonally away from me. I aimed for the rear of the rib cage so that the bullet could enter in at the ribs and travel forward through the lungs. Well the bullet ended opening a large gash in the neck which was pumping blood, the second shot quickly depatched the poor Impala. On closer investigation the angle that the bullet contacted the rib cage caused it to deflect, there were two gashes in the skin that had broken the skin, the bullet went in and out and deflected up into the neck. Again a second shot was required, again dissapointment. A bullet was recovered from the second shot and it had flattened and bent into a slight banana shape losing 27% of it's mass. Had the first bullet not been diverted in its path the animal would have dropped.

The days hunt ended for me. I was both elated with my Kudu bull but dissapointed with the two Impala that required two shots to dispatch them. The other party lost a Kudu bull and an Impala that day so in all I should not be too disappointed. My colleague got a nice Warthog boar.

Day two was more relaxing after the frenetic start to the hunt and we went out in the afternoon. I got a very big Impala ewe which my host wanted for biltong for his grandkids. This was more rewarding as at 100m she dropped in her tracks, bullet went right through. Minimal meat damage was recorded and I am becoming a fan of heavy and slow.

Day three was spent over extremely rough terrain with the trackers trying to flush the large bulls out of the ravines, they have 60" bulls on the farm. We did not see any but they were in the lapa as testimony. I will be back to have a go at them.

I have been invited to the owner to his other farm to shoot Warthog and Springbuck (both black and normal) which are breeding faster than he can shoot them. Again this is a private non commercial farm so hunting should be great. Will be getting prices for a .243 on Wednesday (excuse, the grandsons need to come hunting). I know the 30-06 can do it but hey, I think the .243 will be more suitable.

I learnt a ton;

1. I need a ammo belt or a pouch for extra rounds.
    2. A poor rifle strap is a pain in the butt.
    3. Out of hand snap shooting is a MUST shooting technique.
    4. I learnt how to quarter and butcher an Impala, unfortunately due the the amount we shot they could not afford me the time to learn how to skin. Next time.
    5. I battled to acquire the target at 10X magnification and started shooting on 6X.
    6. I was initially worried about the Varmint reticle but is is magic in the veld.
    7. I need to lose weight.
    8. The Sierra's killed everything but I will move to a premium bullet.
    9. The others shooting with 130 and 150gr. bullets through .270's, .243's and .308 did have significantly more meat damage than I did with slow 180's.
    10. Need a rucksack to hold all the goodies.
    11. Shooting through photochromatic tinted glasses (not sunglasses) is not great.
    12. Getting to PE on a plane with a rifle is dead easy. The airport staff were most helpfull and efficient. Strange thing though, live rounds had to be apart from the rifle in checked in luggage on the way down and in with the rifle on the way back? You have to check in first before proceding to the rifle counter as you need a baggage ticket.
    13. My constitution is unable to eat meat breakfast, lunch and supper, feels like my intestines have been packed with readymix concrete.
    14. A good hunting crowd makes for an excellent hunt, we had a great crowd.
    15. Pack less clothes, it does not matter how dirty your pants are walking through the bush. My rifle in case weighed 13.75kg leaving not much for the rest of ones gear. Add shooting sticks, binocs ammo and one starts approaching the limit rapidly.

Should be hunting again in June and then in Spetember.

Banned

Default Re: April 2012 Hunting trip, long post

Thanks for feedback. In bushveld my scope is normally on 3 to 5x so as to take quick shots as the prey will be close-up. Not every shot is a one shot kill. I lately bought a synthetic rifle sling - has give and is very comfortable - the stiff wide leather slings might look great but really chafe your shoulder on a long walk. My hunting shirt has two pockets - I put extra rounds in one and keep them quiet with a healthy roll of toilet paper.

Glad you enjoyed the trip. Good company forms a major part of that. The kudu's weight is good for an EC male.

Now we need to get you shooting 150gr Barnes TSX to counter the deflections and get the best penetration with good wound channel. Best of luck getting the 243 bought and licensed.

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Thanks for feedback. In bushveld my scope is normally on 3 to 5x so as to take quick shots as the prey will be close-up. Not every shot is a one shot kill. I lately bought a synthetic rifle sling - has give and is very comfortable - the stiff wide leather slings might look great but really chafe your shoulder on a long walk. My hunting shirt has two pockets - I put extra rounds in one and keep them quiet with a healthy roll of toilet paper.

Glad you enjoyed the trip. Good company forms a major part of that. The kudu's weight is good for an EC male.

Now we need to get you shooting 150gr Barnes TSX to counter the deflections and get the best penetration with good wound channel. Best of luck getting the 243 bought and licensed.
    Thanks,

they told me it was the Greater Kudu so probably not that impressive. Apparently they have a lighter coat than the lesser Kudu?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Thanks,

they told me it was the Greater Kudu so probably not that impressive. Apparently they have a lighter coat than the lesser Kudu?
    The lesser kudu is only found in Kenya and northwards.

Some people from limpopo will however call these EC kudu "lesser".

Thanks, I see there are sub species of the Greater.

User

Very nice story Andrew. I think it is cool that you sat and thought of the lessons learnt and put them down on paper (albeit e-paper).

sometimes animals require a second shot. It happens, it is part of hunting.

Banned

A second shot may be part of 'hunting' but this story is not about hunting it is about shooting, where I come from you do not shoot from a bakkie, you walk!

Banned

Our modern day lives have forced us into doing things at a pace. Andrew mentioned why the animals were shot from the vehicle. I also avoid shooting from a vehicle and prefer to experience the veldt. As a young man I also thought to cover 20km was hunting. At present I select where I hunt and make sure there is enough game to not take part in marathons.

Quote Originally Posted by Baboon Shooter View Post
    A second shot may be part of 'hunting' but this story is not about hunting it is about shooting, where I come from you do not shoot from a bakkie, you walk!
    I do appreciate your position and I would also rather walk.

Where we shot you CANNOT walk, had I taken your view I would have insulted my host who had freely offered me both Kudu and Impala to hunt or as you put it "shoot".

I wonder where this argument stops, perhaps we should all use bows and arrows? Maybe we should really hunt and use spears like the Masai do with Lion, now thats real hunting. Or I could have walked up and down each road hoping that an animal stepped out for me and that I did not run into a Buffalo with a 30-06.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Baboon Shooter View Post
    Well that was uncalled for. Andrew worked damn hard for this hunt developing loads and preparing properly (read his posts). This thread isn't about ethics. Unfortunately, circumstances dictated that he not be able to walk and stalk.

Having read most (if not all) of Andrew's posts I am pretty sure he would have prefered a walk and stalk hunt. He does everything he do to the best of his ability and isn't satisfied until it is perfect, unfortunately somethings are outside of his control.

Nowadays with the game industry being what it is (fenced in and expensive), a hunter can't simply go on a hunt and leave without his animals.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast