Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning rod

User

Default Cleaning rod

I want to start with barrel breakin but still need a cleaning rod. Seems none of the shops close to me have one piece rods in stock but do have the multiple piece ones. Friend recommended a one piece.

Tried looking for threads for 1pc vs multi, but search via mobile app is not always that great.

What is the pro/cons between the two?
    Any reason not to get one of these or rather wait for stock of the one piece?

Thx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Cleaning rod

Personally I find the multi pice rods have a tendancy to come apart in the middle of the cleaning process, they are nice if you are carrying them for a stop gap but the one piece just works better for regular cleaning

User

Thanks!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    I want to start with barrel breakin but still need a cleaning rod. Seems none of the shops close to me have one piece rods in stock but do have the multiple piece ones.
    Chaka, you're in Kuilsriver, Safari & Outdoor is just up the road from you. The last time I was there they had a good selection of Boretech (one piece) cleaning rods in stock. Or you can view the same on their website. Note that Boretech have female tips so you either have to get male brushes or an adapter. For rifle, get a one piece rod. I have yet to see a 2/3-piece rifle cleaning rod that doesn't over-flex at the joints or simply break over time.

Boretech cleaning rods are pricey but well worth the price. Whatever you do, if you value your barrel, don't buy those el-cheapo plastic covered rods (Ram?) you see hanging at most gun shops. They are crap. The same for generic brushes and jags (Ram?). They are ultra-crap. Invest in good brushes (i.e. Boretech, Parker Hale etc.), proper solvent and also get yourself a bore-guide. Good cleaning equipment like this will make cleaning less of a chore, do less damage and will pay for themselves over time.

User

Thanks Deon. S&O is out of stock despite their website showing differently (suppose its stock from their Gauteng branch?) At least 3 weeks now.
    I leave empty handed everytime I visit.

Thats when I started looking around and prompted this thread. I`ll have to wait until their stock arrives.
    Rather safe than sorry.

But its frustrating. Finally have a rifle (picked up on 20 April) of my own and still cant shoot it yet. Will have to go ask my mate very nicely if I can borrow his so that I can start with breakin.

Banned

Thanks Deon. S&O is out of stock despite their website showing differently (suppose its stock from their Gauteng branch?) At least 3 weeks now.
    I leave empty handed everytime I visit.
    True dat. I forgot that hunting season started 1 May. Which means a few week before and after that, most shops have diddly-squat in stock. I do believe that you can purchase online on S&O's website? Maybe give 'em a call to see how that works.

But its frustrating. Finally have a rifle (picked up on 20 April) of my own and still cant shoot it yet. Will have to go ask my mate very nicely if I can borrow his so that I can start with breakin.
    Have you tried Rosenthal?

User

I just pop in at S&O on my way home from Stb and the other shops close by (guns and bows, elcaprisco). Have not been to other shops yet.

Will give Rosenthal a call later today.

User

Try https://www.deweyrods.com/ they have excelence service too.

User

Zimbi may have, and they're around the corner from S&O

User

I popped into S&O Stellenbosch on my way home about week or so after this post to get some primers. No primers but they received stock the day before so I got a Boretech Bore Stix.

And a boreguide from Chris van Niekerk. Made from delrin or some type of nylon. Custom made to your specific action and at a excellent price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast