Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: Where is the best place to put fa when sleeping?

A fire escape plan must always be considered. I have drawn up the plans for my house myself and hope I thought about most possible incidents. From the sleeping quarters to the font door is no combustible material (tiles on floor, waterbased paint against walls, fibre-cement ceilings, no mats on top of tiles.) The safety door can be opened easily from inside and it should be possible to escape without burning through the front door. I also have a big fire extinguisher on "my" side.

I am planning to build a new main bedroom and will then install another "external" door (with all safety regulations like solid door, fixed hinges, security gate, no external handles etc). That will better the escape route.

My opinion regarding fire: "I have heard and was influenced by a lot of farm murders but have never heard of a farmer burning inside his own house." The odds are more to a attack than a fire.

But, yes, escape routes must always be considered.

User

Hey, Adoons

I need to Zombie-proof my house. Can you help?

Seems like you have this stuff covered. Nice one!

User

I am a firmbeleiver in physical barriers. Early warning systems are great, but by beingwarned that there is an intruder is not preventing him/them getting to you. Mypurpose with barriers is just to buy me time. Time to wait for the hour or sofor the local SAP office to pick up there phone, time to call help fromneighbours/farmwatch etc. Time to hide loved ones in cupboards and under bedsand take up a nice shooting position and wait for said intruder to brake downthe next barrier. I have a true fear of being woke by a BG next to my bed orhaving them to "appear" in the house wilst I am watching TV or eatingor whatever.

Zombie proofing for when you are not at home is impossible. For that you callSantam/outsurance etc. If they steal my stuff, I still live and my wife stays"unraped."

When you are at home, my ideas stays on the principle of building circles ofdefence around yourself, but it must be decent and strong. A safety gate thatyou buy at the hardware shop on Sunday morning and install to the doorframewith a few poprivets is not going to help. Security gates must have their ownframe and the gap between the frame and the gate must be as tight as possibleso that a lever of some sort can not fit to wedge the gate open. Bullet typehinges stay the best. There must not be a pin in a hinge that can be knockedout. The lock must be of the "internal" mechanism type. Those thathave a pin that is pushed for locking and the pin is held in place by a padlockinternally. Then the frame around the lock area must be of thick walled metal(1.2 and 1.6 mm wall thicknes tubing is too thin) so that it will not tear whenpreyed open. All of above = really strong gates that must be build yourself orbuild according to a spec sheet. Companies building and selling gates alwaysuse the thinnest tubing and rods and cheapest locks and hinges to stay in themarket. If you want to use folding type gates, get Trellidor. The others are alot cheaper, but for a reason.

Then put in solid doors as far as possible. These days there are even doorsthat have metal rods internally for strength. I think it is a great idea. Andgood locks.

I have put in cottage type windows with normal iron frames and the flat barburglar proofing as they come. Before installing I welded the burglar proofingagain myself as the manufacturers just spot weld them. In the sleeping quartersI also have made additional burglar proofing that fits over the whole window onthe inside. Painted a decent colour and with a thin curtain it is not ugly. Howmany visitors in any case go into your room to see the "ugly" burglerproofing?

Then the inside the house barriers consist of solid sheet metal sliding doorthat is running on the wheels that is used for sliding motor gates. I have justmade rail that the door is hanging on so that there is not a rail on theground. Just make sure it cannot be lifted of the rail and the guides at thebottom must also be strong so that that the door cannot be swung open. It mustbe impossible to get it of the rail.

Zombies like to use ceilings. We build al sorts of internal barriers but aceiling can be broken open with bare hands to climb over to next room. For thatinstall welded mesh inside the roof. Can be attached by U nails or fastenedwith wire if you dont want to work too much with a hammer for fear of hittingthe ceiling loose. A friend of mine have put those spikes that is made to beput on top of sliding gates on all his trusses. That will also help as there isthen a problem to move in the roof.

All you need now is a good fence or wall around the house, a few motionsensors, a small jack russel or the like inside the house and your gun at hand- ALWAYS.

I know I must go out of the house in the morning. But at least I sleep in peaceand enjoy my time inside the house without worrying about every strange noiseor dog barking. Before a BG can get in my house, I will know it.

It takes time and money to do. Don't try to fix it all at once. Slowly buildyour circles around you and if you only have a halve circle for now, it isfine, slowly complete it as time and the budget allows and then build the nextcircle or part there-off.

User

Perimiter sensors. Not connected, well, not enabled as alarms, mine false in the afternoon, but connected to chime at night. You move around the house and I will know about it. BX-80s are expensive but you only need a few for a residential property. For a farm it'll get more expensive, dunno.

User

Spoke to a cop that got a surprise when a zombie was standing next to his bed one night. He keeps his fa around his ankle when sleeping. His reason is the zombies go straight to your pillow to feel if you have something there. By the time the bad guy got to the balcony he already had 3 shots in his but.

User

Now that makes sense if you can get used to sleeping in such a way. A FA on ones person is always the safest and best place. If we were not in all the licensing problems in SA I would consider a NAA mini gun for such a purpose.

User

How about this little number? Bedside stand with secret compartment.
    Has a quick-release trapdoor to get to your fa quickly.

Adoons...great post my bru! :-)
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4