Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Removing lead/lube residue from sealed suppressor?

I have finally settled on an excellent sub-sonic load for my bolt action 7.62x39 using a 193gr flat point cast bullet at 950fps. My problem now is trying to remove the lead/lube build-up in my sealed GMS suppressor (the normal method of using diesel then rinsing with water and drying does not help). Can anybody suggest a solution? A non-sealed suppressor would be much better for manually scrubbing out the residue when cast bullets are being used.

Banned

Default Re: Removing lead/lube residue from sealed suppressor?

Will a industrial type sonic cleaner not be able to loosen it? Mercury will dissolve but I think it is unobtainable nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Will a industrial type sonic cleaner not be able to loosen it? Mercury will dissolve but I think it is unobtainable nowadays.
    Good idea. That should get the lead out. The bullet lube is another problem...not sure if there's a chemical that will dissolve it but perhaps boiling water will help...

Banned

Add soap and the water gets hot from the sonic action.

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Add soap and the water gets hot from the sonic action.
    Thanks driepootx, can you recommend a sonic cleaner, preferably locally made and not too expensive?

User

Quote Originally Posted by mfezi View Post
    I have finally settled on an excellent sub-sonic load for my bolt action 7.62x39 using a 193gr flat point cast bullet at 950fps. My problem now is trying to remove the lead/lube build-up in my sealed GMS suppressor (the normal method of using diesel then rinsing with water and drying does not help). Can anybody suggest a solution? A non-sealed suppressor would be much better for manually scrubbing out the residue when cast bullets are being used.

I have just noticed your thread and perhaps I can help. Had you mentioned you intended using cast lead bullets in your centre fire unit I would have recommended one of my units which can be dismantled without tools for ease of cleaning. Cast lead bullets in a centre fire rifle cause tremendous fouling in the rifle barrel as well as a suppressor and muzzle brake. Please feel free to contact me so that we can discuss modifying your sealed unit. It wont be a problem.
    Regards
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by gms View Post
    I have just noticed your thread and perhaps I can help. Had you mentioned you intended using cast lead bullets in your centre fire unit I would have recommended one of my units which can be dismantled without tools for ease of cleaning. Cast lead bullets in a centre fire rifle cause tremendous fouling in the rifle barrel as well as a suppressor and muzzle brake. Please feel free to contact me so that we can discuss modifying your sealed unit. It wont be a problem.
    Regards
    Gavin
    Hi Gavin, thanks for your reply and product support. When I purchased the suppressor years ago, I had not thought I would end up using cast bullets so it is my ignorance to blame, not your product (I have had exemplary service from the unit otherwise). My concern is that the cost of modifying and cleaning the sealed unit (including courier charges) will possibly come close to the cost of buying a brand new unsealed unit? I have had some success scraping the residue out with a bent bronze bristle brush but it is a PITA. I'm currently using the rifle and suppressor for culling so I could only send it to you in a few months time (if the cost warrants it, otherwise perhaps I must sell this one and buy a new unsealed unit?).

User

This is what i do ......... hope it helps

Hot soapy water and a bottle brush (the type one uses to clean baby bottles with.)
    Cost around R15-R30 from Dischem or Clicks, and gets in everywhere to clean nicely

Been cleaning my supressor with it for a while.
    After washing i rinse in clean hot water wipe dry with Calton Towel and then use hair dryer to make sure it dry.

Thanks for the tip 458Exp!

User

You can make a soaking dip from 50% Hydrogen Peroxide from your pharmacy and 50% distilled white vineger. Mix up the two and leave your whole suppressor submergerd for 2-3 hours. Make sure you get all the air bubbles out between the baffles. That should losen everything up for easier cleaning. Rinse well in clean water and let it dry.
    Be very careful with your used dip/rinsing water. The solution will contain lead acetate which is water soluble and very toxic so dispose of it responsibly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast