Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default changing EDC....

hi guy's

quick pick your brain question

i would like to start carrying my 9mm (section 15) as my EDC.....i will fill in the correct paper work next week,
    is it a major issue...carrying a section 15 as a SD weapon..

9 years of carrying my 45acp..would like a few more rounds in the mag...

thanks

User

Default Re: changing EDC....

Apparently its no issue as the law states "wherever it is legal and safe to do so".

I was at first no too comfortable with it but then my lawyer said there is nothing illegal about it and om free to do so.

User

There are no legal implications of doing that. I often carry my S15 firearm.

That being said, if this is a permanent change, I do suggest you make the change from a licencing point of view. Not because you HAVE to, but because you are a responsible firearm owner on the right side of the law :-)

You shouldn't licence a firearm as a S15 if you know full well it will be your primary carry firearm, if it's for SD then licence it as such.

But obviously that's not the case here.

User

What will you be doing with the 45 though? You might end up having to change 2 licences if your 45 is licenced for SD, i.e. change that to an S15 and change the S15 to a S13.

On second thought, that sounds liek a lot of trouble... just carry the S15 man!

Rock on!

User

Sorry to disagree but I spoke with Captain Nortier at Huntex and he said as follows: S15/16 is a sports/hunter shooting license. If stopped by the cops during the day, presumably you can argue that you are on the way to the range to sport shoot. However, if stopped at night when all ranges are closed, you are going to be in big trouble. A S15/16 license is basically a license to transport a fa to a sport shoot/hunt. NOT a license to carry a fa to the shopping mall/restaurant. I think that makes sense.

My (Captain Nortier's) 2c.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AGreeff View Post
    Apparently its no issue as the law states "wherever it is legal and safe to do so".
    As regards this: Captain Nortier says this means that if a BG invades your home and you open the safe, you don't need to pull out you S13 FA, you can use any fa to end the threat. It DOES NOT mean that you can use your fa in the street at night.

User

I'd like t see where this goes. I have a lot of respect for the captain, but I cannot agree with that interpretation of the statute. A test case in the High Court would be interesting.

User

User

Quote Originally Posted by Snaphaan View Post
    I'd like t see where this goes. I have a lot of respect for the captain, but I cannot agree with that interpretation of the statute. A test case in the High Court would be interesting.
    I think it's entirely logical: s15/16 is sports shooting. It is not a self defence license. How can edc be justified under these sections? If you are carrying it legally, eg on the way to sports shoot, you can use it to defend your life. But how could you justify carrying at 1.00am when no sports shooting is available?

User

Quote Originally Posted by FCA Section 13
    A firearm in respect of which a licence has been issued in terms of this section may be used where it is safe to use the firearm and for a lawful purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by FCA Section 15
    A firearm in respect of which a licence has been issued in terms of this section may be used where it is safe to use the firearm and for a lawful purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by FCA Section 16
    Do you see a difference..? I don't see a difference... can YOU see a difference..?

All respect to the Captain, but the law does not differentiate between the allowed usage of firearms licensed under the different sections!

Logical my ass!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast