Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Testing pepperspray

We have been testing a popular pepperspray brand again in training this past weekend. Everytime we do these tests, we try out different scenario's.

The pain and discomfort suffered by every person is of course relative, and can't be measured and compared as far as I know.

An interesting occurance was that one of our members that have some areas on his skin with less pigmentation than other areas, made the following discovery:

According to him, those areas with less pigmentation reacted (burned) more to the peppersray than those with more pigmentation.

Of course we all know that more pigmentation protects better against the sun etc., but does anyone know if this has been tested to chemical exposure as well? And more important, will peppersray affect some races more than other?
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

User

Default Re: Testing pepperspray

The primary effects from pepper spray are as a result of the capsicum making contact with eyes and respiratory tract resulting in impaired vision and breathing discomfort. The skin burning is but a minor discomfort and only really noticed once the real pain subsides.

Based on that I don't believe skin pigmentation plays a major role in its effectiveness.

Having sprayed well over 3000 recruits and in-service cops with OC (I stopped counting at 3000, but did not stop spraying) my general observation was that while very fair-skinned blonde or red haired people often complained longer about the burning sensation there was no real difference in race / skin pigmentation where actual effect was concerned.

The pain effect is mostly psychological, although the burning sensation does seemingly take place to some degree for everyone. Fairly often I observed that middle aged females who had kids were very well equipped mentally for the experience, almost as if theur attitude was 'OK...it's gonna hurt a bit, so let's get this over with', as compared to younger people...both males and females...who had 'psyched themselves up' in class to believe the pain would be more than it really should have been. (one calling it 'Hellfire in a can!' :-)

Street use will give varied results ranging from excellent to completely ineffective. This often is due to using waaaayy too much product, which means the carrying agent must evaporate before the actual OC begins to take effect. Process being 'Cop sees guy is about to fight, sprays copious amounts of pepper spray into eyes / face. Guy sputters but fights anyway. Cop(s) wrestle guy down and cuff him...place in squad car...after a few minutes in squad car guy is screaming that he can't see and is on fire!'

But then it is not easy to spray a moving target at all, nor is it human nature to spray someone who is trying to kick your ass just a little bit. OC is a good tool but it ain't magic!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

So it will be a bit more effective against gingers? Good to know!

Jokes aside, I had to spray an uncooperative dronkie this past Friday. Two short bursts right in the face. He merely coughed a bit and was otherwise unnaffected. So much for the "this shit will incapacitate anyone!" crowd.
    Beware the killer ræbbit of Caerbannog! Look, that ræbbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide. It's a killer!!! He's got huge, sharp... eh, he can leap about... LOOK AT THE BONES!!!
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmu5sRIizdw&sns=em[/URL]

User

The taxi driver i sprayed at the robots while standing next to my window, quickly forgot why he came over to me and took it upon himself to shove his finger in my face.

It didn't drop him like a stone, but it did give me some vital time to drive off.

User

Ikor, I wonder have you ever had any problems with cadets who suffer from asthma ?

User

Im sure the effects will differ from individual to individual.Heres some one who tried it

User

Quote Originally Posted by white_ræbbit View Post
    Jokes aside, I had to spray an uncooperative dronkie this past Friday. Two short bursts right in the face. He merely coughed a bit and was otherwise unnaffected. So much for the "this shit will incapacitate anyone!" crowd.
    It has been my personal observation more than any scientific sampling, but I have found it to be less effective against dronkies too.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo16 View Post
    Ikor, I wonder have you ever had any problems with cadets who suffer from asthma ?

Nope...or any of a multitude of other conditions. Recruit training now does not actually spray them but rather a bit is applied over the eyes across the forehead with a swab (more wussification but I digress)

In-service, the only way to opt out was with a written doctors excuse, and almost no one did that, including a couple of guys who probably should have.

At my old agency they still have to be sprayed, and if they want to carry a Taser (the real Taser and not one of those goofy little things some people call tasers) they have to take 'The Ride'. Goes a long way in court when some dirt bag accuses them of using 'cruel and unusual' punishment.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Interesting.. always been a bit concerned about how it will affect asthma sufferers (being used by, not being used against).. especially with the mist or fog systems.

Thanks ikor, valuable info as always.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast