Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Being targeted...

My parents have been the victims of 3 attempted break-ins the last 4 days!!

The first attempt was on Sunday morning @ 2AM. The gained acces to a freestanding garage at the back of the property, whereafter the bent the burglarproofing on the patio and broke the padlock on the security gate (the padlock is now gone). They then tried to remove the glass from the sliding door leading into the house, however they were unsuccesfull. They then used a brick to break a 1.2x1meter glass window in an attempt to get in. The alarm went off but my father decided not to go look ("false alarm"). 30 minutes later the alarm went off again, and once again he decided it was a false alarm. Thankfully the alarm scared them off.

On monday while my parents were out shopping for additional security measures (wall spike etc) the tried to get in again. This time through the front and garage doors (the alarm indicated the sensors had been activated on these doors).

They came back AGAIN yesterday afternoon while my parents went to the shops. When they returned they found that the trailor in the back garage was open and the locks missing.

User

Default Re: Being targeted...

eish, thats not good....at least they are adding more security...my dog's are my best security asset....after my gun that is..

User

Thankfully my father does have a firearm, and although he does not carry it during the day (yes I have preached and swore and begged, but to no avail) he does at least keep it on him when at home. The do have 2 dogs however the dogs sleep in their bedroom.

Myself and a friend (both armed of course) are now doing late night/early morning patrols around the street just in case and we will continue this for 2 or 3 weeks.

User

maybe a silly question and pls dont take offence...have you had any expereince or training on the patrolling side?

whats changed? have they recently moved in, bought new items that someone could have seen them carry in etc? its obvious they want in and is just a matter of time, your folks are going to have to be "wake up" from here on in.

First things first, every alam needs to be regarded as a thread and call the security company immediately to come do a site inspection. They also are going to have to be very careful when leaving and coming to the property.

User

Hi,

what area are they in?

User

@ John Ross; Maybe "patrolling" was a bad choice of words. We basically just take a drive around the area and check "dark spots" for anyone suspicious. Not planning on confronting anyone full on, but can at least call the cops if anyone suspicious is found/spotted. And with luck the may get scared off if they see us being alert. But to answer your question; no, no formal training. Just trying to do the best we can on short notice. And no offence taken

@ Scuba Steve; They have been living in that house for 30 years and never had any trouble. But recently they had walls erected and the labourers of the contractor were seen snooping in said garage. I am trying to prepare them (mentally as well as with extra security measures) as best I can. This is unfortunately a somewhat difficult task seeing as my father has the typical "Afrikaans male mentality" (no offence to anyone, I am a afrikaans male myself) of "I will m#$r them if I catch them" etc.

@ Curious George; They live in a very nice upmarket neighbourhood in Uitenhage.

User

10 points to Scuba Steve....

86 ->correct, bad choice of words...but you got, what i was getting at...good luck, keep safe!

User

let your mom go out shopping.... your dad waiting with the 45.

</problem>

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    let your mom go out shopping.... your dad waiting with the 45.

</problem>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast