Thread: 460 bauer

Default 460 bauer

Does anybody know this cal.Who designed it and what is the performance compaired to 458 lott ,450 rigby etc.Is reloading components available

User

Default Re: 460 bauer

Hi Shane

Will reply to your pm when I get home. The 460 Bauer was designed by Dr Gary Bauer. It's set to launch 500gr + bullets at around 2200fps, while still generating low pressures. The problem with the cartridge is its extreme length, stretching the even mighty magnum actions to their limits. Also, finding brass can be a serious hack, especially if you're looking for correctly headstamped brass

User

Hi Shane,

African Outfitter has an article on the cartridge written by Dr Bauer. I am not sure which month but it was last year. You could also contact Morkle and Crouse Riflemakers who built the rifle for Dr Bauer

Also check out the .458 African developed by Pierre van der Walt. I have one. Awesome! Safari and Outdoor has dies, cases can be bought from Stewart or converted from 404 Jeff, 300, 375 Rem Mag. Performance is great and it can fit into a standard length action....