Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Gun Africa magazine

Got a copy,lovely a new magazine with a great variety of second hand guns for sale.
    well done,we need something new and I am sure the sport can only benefit.

Thumbs up and best of luck to the editor and Co

User

Default Re: Gun Africa magazine

I got one at Huntex, really hope they get off the ground. Looks very promising

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

They really, REALLY need to look at the quality of their content though. Sheesh! What a load of crap.

Made a scathing and on-point comment on the exceedingly sexist 'article' on female carry. Wonder if it'll be published.

Pink .22s for fhks sake?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    They really, REALLY need to look at the quality of their content though.
    This goes for most gun magazines in SA. Especially that one of a certain association, with its all of 6 contributors.

With your post, I am now really interested to get a copy of this mag!
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I am now really interested to get a copy of this mag!
    It seems to be promotional 'in house' advertorial for City Guns (no negative connotations intended at all).

But they really need to vet their content.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Banned

First one ,they say things get better over time.

Banned

They really, REALLY need to look at the quality of their content though. Sheesh! What a load of crap.
    A little harsh Pauly. I wouldn't agree that the content of the magazine was a "load of crap". I thought overall the content was actually pretty good and nicely varied. There was quite a few decent product reviews (incl. the NEA), some interesting hunting pieces, quite a nice slice of "survival" matter (a rarity in local rags), a bunch of other readable stuff and a classifieds section with color pictures! What were you expecting?

Thankfully is wasn't just one article after another about some old fart who hunted a buffalo in Bechuanaland back in '57 with his .303 or yet another a "review" of a firearm that few know about and even less care about. And lo and behold... the magazine actually has a website (http://www.gunafrica.co.za/)! Something that "other" magazine has yet to discover.

They have to work on the editing / proofing though. Perhaps they were in a rush to get it printed in time for Huntex but there were quite a few very obvious clangers. One page was printed twice and some of the typos were unforgivable (i.e. taxidermi, advfast?).

p.s. FWIW, I wrote one of those "load of crap" articles (not that your opinion offends me in the slightest) and I know quite a few of the folks involved in the magazine. I am sure that the magazine will improve over time. I say "hooray" for a new local gun magazine!

User

Pink .22s for fhks sake?
    Come on Paul, I specifically remember you telling me the other day how proud you are of your new pink Taurus P22

I like concept behind the magazine (combination of topics relevant to SA shooters, not just hunting), but the quality of content can definitely be a lot better. Three different articles on Teotwaki in one magazine is a bit much. I did like the article on the "Rhino War"

User

Is the mag available in shops?

User

Nice to see a new mag, but I'm with Paul at least on the pink .22 article... FFS "effective om small rodents at a range closer than 100m"???

The hunting articles were interesting (I did like the Kyrgystan one and was rather sorry for the author!) but the survival ones need some serious scientific backing to be halfway believable... Nuclear war, global warming, Gamma rays, alien invasion??? Seriously? And you want to tell me in a magazine how to deal with those? That's what FHM is for, you know...

The mag is in need of a talented sub-editor. Never should something happen like in the Bok van Blerk article... The Nosler rifle one is written in the first person, but it doesn't state an author!

I don't know if I'll buy it on a whim again soon. But I do hope that they sort out the issues, make themselves believable and build up a loyal reader's base.

:- P

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast