Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Re: Hunting Photos

dave what cal ,rifle and load does you son use .

User

Bobby,
    He is 12 now and his weapon of choice is a Krico 222. He is also very comfortable with my 243 which he used for the Ribbok in the picture. I am starting to expose him to the 270 and he is doing well. He was hitting "valplate" at 200m just the other day. The 243 is probably the best calibre for a youngster to hunt with because of its knock down power on Impala sized game and there is almost no recoil! What are your thoughts?

User

A friend and I have been loading Barnes X tips for the .22-250 for our kids. 7 and 10 years respectively. He and his son has just come from a hunting trip where the boy shot a warthog (headshot) as well as a mature male Impala ( through the "knoppe"). Neither of the bullets were recovered. The Barnes bullets are extremely accurate and both boys shoot moa groups from the bench and 1 to 1.5 moa from a tripod at 50 metres (the hunting distance we have figured they will be shooting in the bushveld). They have been practicing on the impala full size targets from the beginning of the year. We have also insisted on them practicing with the tripod as benches are hard to find in the bush......
    The rifle's original stock has been removed and refitted with a "old" stock which have been cut shorter and cheek piece reshaped for them. This rifle fits them perfectly and looks like a little .22. It is however shooting the Barnes bullets at well over 3300 ft per second without recoil. as can be seen from the warthog pic posted my son is quite small for his 7 years (built like the mother and not the dad) and he comfortably shoots the .22-250.
    I must agree though that the .243 would also be a good option for the boys. Anyone know of someone selling one....... been checking the for sale sections but have not come across one yet.

my son's almost 6 so his still on the 22 .
    i have a 222 for him but untill he can shoot a bit more straight he's staying with ''his'' 22 .

i would of liked to have a 6x45 but they don't just lay around on gunshop shelves.

before i got the 222 senwes had 6x45 rifles but the shit i had to hear form the salesman about the whole sum of money had to be paid before cfr would consider the application i just thought ,f@ck this d@@S get something else . not sorry i got the 222.

maybe father christmas brings me a howa youth model in 243 hpy180

User

6x45 very nice.
    I think i will also maar write to father x mas and see what turns up. hopefully we also have some clarity by then around the back log of our "wonderful" cfr......

The .222 is an excellent little cartridge, although I admit to a huge bias for the '6x45' (5.56x45...US NATO) round. The .222 can do pretty much anything the .223 can in a bolt action hunting rifle, especially with hand loads...that boy will have a blast! Tons of whitetail deer killed here every year with the .222.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

hjk hjk hjk hjk hjk hjk hjk hjk hjk hjk hjk hjk
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Agree Frank....you guys can digress but then you need to place pictures!!! md217

Guilty as charged...sorry whp
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Default Rifles for laaities

Seeing that we shamelessly using a gallery at present to discuss this important topic, I suggest we do it here and perhaps even move some of the post here.

I too have a bright eyed 7yo boy with a new .22 Bruno! He love it but I see he struggles a lot with the stock that is just to long for him. Anybody else with a similar problem and possible solution? Perhaps I should start sourcing another stock until he it big enough to use the standard one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast