Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS

Default Walther PPS

Hi all.

Anyone know if these are being brought into the country yet, or who may do so in the future, i would love to have a look at one and will be buying on in the future. Would love to know price and hear any insights, if anyone has shot with one or has held one. It is a Walther so three things can be counted on...

1) it will be an excellent pistol.
    2) it will definately be pricey.
    3) it will eventually make its debut in a james bond film hpy71

ok the third one was just a joke, but u never do know...

for those that have not seen one, here is a pic...

pic inserted with a PPK to give everyone a veiw to the size relative to the PPK, its a small little sucker... and it chambered for 9mmP

Default Re: Walther PPS

Quote Originally Posted by andy_760901
    1) it will be an excellent pistol.
    2) it will definitely be pricey.
    3) it will eventually make its debut in a james bond film hpy71
    Nice little gun that, here a link to a article on it.
    Have to agree, it'll definitely be expensive and James Bond will be taking down an 'A-10 Thunderbolt II' with one in the latest movie ;D
    But, didn't Walther have a few problems with the P99? I'm Sure I've read a few bad reviews, that would be a expensive lemon!

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_han...807/index.html
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

mmm, Craig, i have not heard that before, but ill keep my eyes open for that.

Its not to say that the big names in guns have never got it wrong, look at Smith with the first generation Sigma pistols, those were a bunch of crap.

Im talking about the model SW9M and SW380. i owned a SW9M and man that was a terrible gun, jamming (stove-piping) and light striking every second round, not even a gunsmith could put the gun right. Anyhow, im organizing a SW380 now, purely for collectors value, as i would never rely on it to save my life...

Ow and the other thing, the SW9M and SW380 were intended to be throw away guns as their life was limited and i dont think SW ever thought they would do heavy round counts, so the slides were like a soft alloy type of material.... S&W were trying to market the gun as a cheap alternative to the other competetors, alas, they cut one too many corners and as a result the gun died a horrible death. here is a pic of the SW380...

sorry hijacked my own thread hjk

User

Great concept but I have read of some serious durability issues with the PPS. Guns working fine for six or seven hundred rounds and them locking up. If they could sort that out could make a nice BUG.

There is apparently a batch of Walters in use by a local LEA and it is basically a specific model with added safeties and it is a disaster. The one has apparently locked up completely before it even fired a single round. I think another forum member can give us some more info on this...

id like to hear more about this if anyone has info, please let me know, id like one of these and think, bar any major problems with locking up, the gun is good, thin and good size effeciency

User

Guns n Ammo gave it a glowing review. Forum posters who own one are pleased with their buy (standard new-pistol euphoria) and talk especially of concealability and reliability as points of praise. However, none seems to have fired more than a few hundred rounds. I'm not sold on the mag release.

I have handled a couple. Small, light but I have serious doubts as to their longevity if shot regularly. There is a reason guns like the G17, Z88, Beretta 92, etc, hold up well to lots of rounds, and it ain't because they were built with light weight and small size in mind. The smaller the parts, the less reliable the pistol, almost always. The guys I 'know' online who have them carry them a lot and rarely shoot them, which works in the states but IMO not in SA. I see this one as a backup gun only or maybe a very deep concealment gun if losing your job was the result of being discovered. JMO

I'll pass, thanks.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Analyst
    Guns n Ammo gave it a glowing review.
    But then again it is a rare event that a gun magazine doesn't give something a glowing revue.

I remember reading that the Lorcins were good value for money.

Yes as some people stated the P99 that one Law Enforcement agency purchased are very, very bad, saw it personally how one brand new gun could not even be cycled, nor taken apart, the people hated it, the instructors even more, many, many problems, I have moved away from that project but the last "RUMOR" that I heard was that they wanted to can these pistols, but this was strictly speaking the P99!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast