Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Weak hand shooting

Gents

The Docs gave me some bad news Yesterday. I must go for a surgical procedure to my Right (strong in my case) hand next week that will render my hand all but useless for at least 6 weeks. My hunting will go on as planned but my SD options are now in dissaray. I have never taught myself to shoot really effectively with my weak hand. I know, it is my own fault, but be honest, how many of us really practice weak hand shooting?

My question: What would you suggest would the fastest way be to learn at least some proficiency with my weak hand. Currently I am carrying an Astra A-100 (still waiting for Glocks license...), so I can have one up the barrel (as always) and should be able to cock the hammer for single action shooting. I will not attempt DA with my weak hand as far as possible and in the event of urgent need might consider a first DA shot to the ground (or other safe place) to get to SA.

A reload will be problematic, thanks for a 18 shot pistol, that will help in this department. At this stage I am not too stressed about reloads, but I must really quickly learn to get shots on target with my weak hand.

Suggestions please. Repremands are also welcome, then maybe somebody else will wake up before the operation table is booked like I have done.

User

Default Re: Weak hand shooting

Adoons you do not have a weak hand , you have a support hand.

That is where you start imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Gents

The Docs gave me some bad news Yesterday. I must go for a surgical procedure to my Right (strong in my case) hand next week that will render my hand all but useless for at least 6 weeks. My hunting will go on as planned but my SD options are now in dissaray. I have never taught myself to shoot really effectively with my weak hand. I know, it is my own fault, but be honest, how many of us really practice weak hand shooting?

My question: What would you suggest would the fastest way be to learn at least some proficiency with my weak hand. Currently I am carrying an Astra A-100 (still waiting for Glocks license...), so I can have one up the barrel (as always) and should be able to cock the hammer for single action shooting. I will not attempt DA with my weak hand as far as possible and in the event of urgent need might consider a first DA shot to the ground (or other safe place) to get to SA.

A reload will be problematic, thanks for a 18 shot pistol, that will help in this department. At this stage I am not too stressed about reloads, but I must really quickly learn to get shots on target with my weak hand.

Suggestions please. Repremands are also welcome, then maybe somebody else will wake up before the operation table is booked like I have done.
    I say you have just booked your weak hand into a 6 week training course ;-). Use this time wisely, it will fly by quickly!

Will your strong hand be incapable of even support for your 'previous' support hand after you change? Same question for reloading...will you not even be able to draw and insert a magazine with the right hand?

Even if so, all is not lost. One hand reloads are taught all the time. Slower? Yes. More fumble-prone? Yep...but do-able. I actually had Geoff make me a left hand holster after I had carpal tunnel release in my right wrist but I was able to draw and shoot fine in about a week with the right hand. (Oh it hurt, but I could do it if I had to)

Practice...you will surprise yourself at what you can do. Mas Ayoob calls the support hand the 'stupid hand' because none of us train with it as much as we should. Once you do, however, you will find close range hits and decent weapon manipulation can be acheived with some work.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Dry fire. Especially DA. Try do a bit every night.

Personally I don't really have a weak/stupid hand. They both suck equally ;) ... I tend to switch hands subconsciously when shooting IDPA competitions from behind cover that requires shooting around the left side even though I generally favour shooting right handed.

There is another dimension to the 'stupid hand' thing. Give an experienced shooter a gun in their 'strong' hand and they will almost always handle it safely. Place it in their untrained support hand and watch them forget all about safety issues, marksmanship basics and any sort of decent manipulation drills...
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Adoons... I have been in exactly that boat for the last 7 weeks (with me cutting off some fingers).

The guys are in fact correct in their assessments. I was 'suddenly forced' to use my 'dumb' hand for everything... since my right hand was 100% out of action....

Finding?

You will be amazed how quickly your 'dumb' hand loses it's 'dumbness'... especially if you start using it a lot. The reason why the hand was dumb to begin with, was that it was never used for fine dextrous activities, and would always play 'second fiddle' to the strong hand.

The week or so that you have now is a good jump start to get your 'dumb' hand up to speed. Use the time to train your hand, and use that hand as much as possible (put your right hand in your pocket, and try to use your left hand for everything... even simple things like working your cell-phone, picking up dropped coins, making coffee etc, etc, etc, etc)... and practice manipulations with your FA with the left hand as often as you can, and then progress to weak-hand-only firing at the range when you feel you can handle the FA safely.

I feel for you bud... but at least unlike me, you have the opportunity to do some forward planning and training.

Good luck with the procedure
    Last edited by Psychosis; 14-06-2012 at 07:45.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Thanks Gents. Dry firing already started. Damn, it goes horrible. I always practice steadyness by balancing a empty 9mm case on top of the rear or front sight for as long as possible. With my left hand I cannot even do it for 3 seconds before it drops of. I never gave this issue enough thought. I doubt if DA shots will go to target shortly. SA, maybe by next week. I will keep on dry firing and put in some range work on Monday.

I am still using my right eye for aiming as always, is that the way to go?

Phsycosis. ouch...

Ikor, I am also going for Carpal Tunnel release, but there might be a bit of work on the bones as well (old injury). If the bones are fine, my situation will be the same ass yours was with partial mobility with pain after a week. If not, 6 weeks in plaster, but support will be able.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    I am still using my right eye for aiming as always, is that the way to go?
    Yip, stay with it like that. Almost impossible (reads, extreemly difficult) to change your dominant eye.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosis View Post
    Yip, stay with it like that. Almost impossible (reads, extreemly difficult) to change your dominant eye.
    Hmmm... I have to keep fighting with my left eye to stop trying to take over when shooting left handed... it's rather obstreperous about it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast