User

Default Dan Wesson 5" in 44MAG

Hi Guys, There seems to be quite a few 44 owners here, so I have some newbie questions on my new "rollie"

Would the 5" be suitable for hunting?
    If so up to which distance ( I know this is largely relevant to operator skill so more aimed towards the limits of the 5" barrel)
    What sort of load and points should I consider shooting?
    Which scopes do you recommend?
    Looked at the Jack Weigand rails but they don't send outside of the US, any other mounts you would suggest?

Lots of questions, but looking forward to the responses :)

Everyone has plan, until you get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

User

Default Re: Dan Wesson 5" in 44MAG

PM Me... I have a 8" Dan Wesson... then we can chat..

User

A 5" barrel makes for a great backpacking weapon. With a shorter sight length and iron sights, I would stay well under 50m. As to bullets, it all depends on what you will be hunting. Most .44 rounds are capable of reaching the vitals of most animals within the range that you should be hunting with a revolver.

I use a 255g lead swc at 1295fps as my standard medium game load in my 7.5" SBHH. I keep all my shots at 50m or less. Even with my good eyes and about 1500 rounds of practice, I'm only comfortable at that range. I don't want to scope my revolver so I need to practice often.

Dylan

User

Thx, it seems the 5" is one of those inbetweeners.
    Not really a good hunting length and not really good for anything else. :(

It still is an awesome looking rollie!

User

Shaker don't be despondent, about your revolver, embrace it, get a load that you like and are comfortable with, then go out and practice till you can't , then practice more, enjoy your rollie , and when you can constantly hit your target at your practice range go get a blessie or impala target and see how you do on that at the range that you have practiced at, and if it is great then go do a walk and stalk just as the bow hunters do it, be it 10,20,30 meters, you revolver will do the job that it has to do, you need the confidence in yourself to do it, I do however agree with mokwepa, keep your range as close as possible, well under 50m, in the meantime put some nosh together and get yourself a RH, SRH,BH, SBH, SBHH Smith 29 or one of the other with a 7 plus inch barrel, recoil is addictive,

User

Shaker, many, many many guys have and do hunt with a 4/5" barrel. For a dedicated hunter, longer is better but I do find myself wishing my SBHH was shorter, when carrying a 20+kg backpack,.375 rifle and my rollie when backpacking in Madikwe. Your 5" in good hands is just as capable as any 7'5", the key is practice. Iron sight shooters are often limited by there sights and ability long before barrel length becomes a issue. Keep you range short to start with and just go for it.

User

Just heard the License have been approved, need some advice on scope rails and scope combination.

Who sells the rails?
    Which scopes can I look at that wont break the bank?

I must give a shout-out to Capt. Nortier, he really is very helpful and actually does what he says he will.

I guess giving him a Bells will constitute bribery..... Otherwise he would never have to buy his own