Default storage of a rifle???

i recently bought a rifle at a gunshop.
    the salesman said that he would store it for me in a rifle bag and put it in the safe so that it doesn't get scratched.
    i've been told that if you keep a rifle in a bag it will rust, is there any truth to this?

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

Default Re: storage of a rifle???

Where is the gunshop located?

It is more likely to rust due to various factors (fingermarks on the action/barrel, scratches exposing bare metal, etc.) so it is difficult to answer, but a well-cared for rifle stored in a bag should be safer than a working rifle in the same bag in the same shop.
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

Get one of those "Safe Dry" bags and ask the shop to put it in the rifle bag.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

thanks, any ideas on when i can buy those bags???

Quote Originally Posted by Brindley
    thanks, any ideas on when i can buy those bags???
    CAMDIX.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Humidity in walk in safe:
    I want to ask some questions related to walk-in safes. I hope adding to this thread is OK.
    My walk-in safe was completed 5 months ago, so the concrete should be settled by now.
    I bought a safe dehumidifier (Airsec 3000) and started using it.
    I want to install a hygrometer, to be able to measure the relative humidity in the safe.
    What would be the optimal humidity for storage of mostly rifles with wooden stocks?
    I suppose as far as the metal is concerned, the lower the better, but would a too low humidity warp or crack the wooden stocks?
    I have also installed some light bulbs next to the rifle racks, to heat the immediate vicinity of the rifles, and prevent them from cooling to dew point. With the dehumidifier, is there any point in still using the bulbs?
    Willie Barnard

User

Hi Willie, I set my dehumidifier to 35% at 28 C, and never had a problem. Just make sure the unit is big enough, leave in safe for hour or two and then check peridiocally that at correct humidity

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Get one of those "Safe Dry" bags and ask the shop to put it in the rifle bag.
    Be careful with Safe 'n Dry - you have to replace the bag when it becomes saturated, which it does quite quickly (month or two, depending on conditions), because it could start leaking. It's basically Calcium Chloride and is a fairly "strong" dessicant, which will absorb so much water that it actually starts dissolving into a gel like solution. While not as corrosive as Codium Chloride (table salt) it can still do a bit of damage if in contact with the metal. It'll work better if you can seal the container/rifle bag with a packet of Safe n Dry in it, as it'll dry out the immediate environment. But in a larger or walk in safe, it'll continue to extract moisture from the surrounds. Packets can be recharged by heating it to 200 degrees for an hour or two.

Silica gel is a much safer bet, but probably not as effective imo. Whichever way you go, ensure rifle is well oiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Brindley View Post
    i recently bought a rifle at a gunshop.
    the salesman said that he would store it for me in a rifle bag and put it in the safe so that it doesn't get scratched.
    i've been told that if you keep a rifle in a bag it will rust, is there any truth to this?

Yes and No

A rifle can rust in a bag, depending if the bag has been exposed to moisture. if you store a rifle in a new rifle bag it should not rust.

A rifle stored in a used bag can rust and probably will rust if you store it in a gunshop for the many years it takes our SAPS to issue a licence.