Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: BUSH PIG STOPPER.

Since last posting on this thread I have received my Marlin .44 Magnum lever action rifle. I have fitted it with a Bushnell Red Dot Sight. I bet there are better quality RDS's around, but for the price it works for me. Never had problems up to now. Then I have developed a load of 245 gr Hornady XTP that is launched at MV of 1680 fps. It works as good as any on bushpigs at night shooting on foot ranges.

I want to up the load further, there are still a wee bit of space in the case. Want to try for 1800 fps. Why? No reason, just curious to see what is possible.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Or this rifle....44Magnum , from a .375H&H Belted magnum neck up to a .44 Magnum...shorten mauser action...

Johan Greyling is so kind and generous to give Ruan , my son a chance to shoot this rifle at the next BASA shoot. The only condition is that Ruan needs to re-load the rounds himself and do the fire -forming process himself...at this stage Ruan did all these procedures himself under the watchful eyes of Johan Greyling...Ruan worked on the magazine to ensure a smoother feed...he substitute the normal Mauser follower spring with a coil spring...I took the bolt to do some TIG welding on it so the bolt face can be re-cut in the lathe..this project is well under way and Ruan will shoot the next BASA with this rifle...I already purchase Impala bullets from Kobus Du Plessis to re-load the rounds Ruan want to use ...more photos will follow as the project progress...

That was 6,5x55 155 grains - we are not allowed to go weaker than that by law

User

We hunted the pigs with dogs in the orchards. One guy man the light and battery and 2 shooters use scoped rifles. We used 7mm to 30-06 as shot placement is never perfect on moving targets. Guys with shotguns lost 3 out of every 4 bushpigs shot at. Shooting is fast at 25/50m when the pigs chase the dogs back. Now I think slugs in a shotgun with a reddot sight, mounted in front of the action on the barrel is perfect.

Side note: Use 5/6 Staffies. They are small and get through the brush easy. They are also white and do not fight with the pigs. They stir and come straight back to the owner with the pigs in tow. I lost Rottweilers to pigs and shooters. A bush pig is agressive and dangerous and can not be compared with warhogs or feral pigs. A missed sow ran past a farmer one night, never stopped and in passing slashed his leg open below and above the knee for 130 stitches.
    Last edited by corriedewilde; 07-01-2015 at 11:39.

Quote Originally Posted by sarel.wagner View Post
    Soon to be a 458 Socom on AR-15 16" barrel, minimum 7 shots on semi-auto :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+1

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4