Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default New SANDF Rifle

As we may all know that the LM / R series of rifle has reached the end of the road. Israel pulled the plug on Denel / LIW in a nut shell. S.A has to find a replacement rifle soon. Some guys recon it will be replaced with AK-47's because of cost and the rest of Africa using it.
    Although we are not a NATO country I think S.A will stick to the .223 cal. If we go the AK route we will be seen as a third world country even though we are.
    SAPS are also looking for a replacement rifle. I spoke to a SAPS member that is in the 'know' recon that SAPS is looking at a calibre smaller than .223 cal. SAPS feels that the .223 is a bit of an 'over kill ' for urban work. The Z88 pistols are already being phased out by Barreta's.

So wise men of this forum , What will the next SANDF rifle be and calibre? And When?

User

Default Re: New SANDF Rifle

SANF
    Ive heard there is tons of R4's still wrapped in Plastic and that Production can easily be restarted if need be.
    Also heard that current R4 barrels are being replaced with a new and improved barrel. Not sure if this implies different caliber or technology. And that the R5 is being done away with.

SAPS
    I'm sure SAPS needs a new assualt rifle that does not allow you to take your own engine out when ducking and firing through the window of a speading van @ 120km/h +...
    BUT where will this WEAPON be found?
    Go see the vehicles at Lyttleton Police Station

If SA does go the AK route I think that it's more likely to be based on the '74. I don't see them changing calibres. Although, in my view, considering our enviroment 7.62X39 would be better.

I don't think that a PCC for the SAPS would be appropriate given the threat level faced and the dismal performance against vehicles.

Again, 7.62 is the answer. Perhaps not for everyone. I understand the problem that the managment may have with "high powered" rifles in the hands of the average members but looking for a hardware solution for a software problem is not an answer.

Issue the shotguns they already have in their inventory with AAA. This gives good performance wth reduced downrange risk. 7.62 rifles for the HSLD dudes. Like Highway patrol, flying squad and the TF used to do with the PARA FAL's and R2's.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

I think there are logical choices and then there are political choices when it comes to arms procurement. It's going to be a bit of a lucky packet IMO. I'd be interested to see if the Raptor features.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

IMO it will probably depend on which supplier offers the "heaviest" handshake nj

kurly you took the words out of my mouth, yes on an on and of basis I have been involved with some of the testing of some of the firearms that the SAPS and SANDF are looking at, and honestly in my personal experience it will boil down to the "heaviest" handshake, like most of their other tactical related equipment, quality, function etc. is a mere after thought!

User

Grease my palms and you will get the tender!

Quote Originally Posted by SWATG
    kurly you took the words out of my mouth, yes on an on and of basis I have been involved with some of the testing of some of the firearms that the SAPS and SANDF are looking at, and honestly in my personal experience it will boil down to the "heaviest" handshake, like most of their other tactical related equipment, quality, function etc. is a mere after thought!
    yeah based on all of that they might get a FAMAS!
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

Trust me.  The SADF will use up all the current resources and then it's back to the iron-age methods of fighting ;D

Maybe, just maybe AK'S from their new best friend, China.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

the cubans have already made representation to supply AK 50000 now and rest to manufacturred
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast