User

Default Rifle competition shooting the Western Cape

Hello to you all,

Do any of you know where I could do some competition rifle shooting in and around Cape Town? I'd specifically like to take part in .22 rimfire target shooting. From my brief internet search the best option I could seem to find was the Western Cape Shooting Union range, but then do I still need to join some other organisation like the Western Cape Bisley Association?

Thanks

James

User

Default Re: Rifle competition shooting the Western Cape

There is the peninsula rifle club which sometimes shoots at durbanville shooting club.

If you want to go the .22 "hunting competition" you can join kaapjag for about R300 and shoot in the .22 postal shoots which you shoot prone, standing, kneeling and at pictures of animals like vlakvark, springbok, impala and gongs. Its quite alot of fun and doesnt take too long.

good luck

User

Hooking onto this: are there any .22 disciplines that specifically require open sights? Also only interested in WC-based possibilities....

:- P

User

Thanks pdh, those both look useful, I'll try to get in touch with the peninsula rifle club right now.

Pirate, I believe that metallic silhouette shooting requires iron sights on .22, I've just been looking at the Western Province Metallic Silhouette shooting associations page.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KLTJAM001 View Post
    Pirate, I believe that metallic silhouette shooting requires iron sights on .22, I've just been looking at the Western Province Metallic Silhouette shooting associations page.
    I've tried to contact them at the beginning of the year, using the details from the website.... never got any response :-( That kinda was my go-to idea...

:- P

User

The only problem I can see with Kaapjag is that to get dedicated sports status with them through the postal shoots you need to be a dedicated hunter. I'd like to do sports shooting, but in addition I would like to get dedicated status out of it to help motivate some rifles of my own.

That's quite annoying, perhaps the details have changed. I'm still hoping to get a response from the peninsula rifle club.

I try to get to the PRC shoots as often as possible - havent been there lately. Held at Durbanville almost every second Saturday of the month.

The goal of these shoots is to be cheap practice for Bisley shooting, thus most guys use the same type of sights and heavy rifles with the jacket and sling, but there is also the F-Class (only one or two shooters) which may be shot over a rest (bipod or whatever you wish to use) and a scope.

It is shot over 100m, 150m and 200m with a practice beforehand at 50m. Usually starts at 13H00.

Contact Colin Edge for more details (secretary of PRC .22) @ 082 9zero2 9fourtysix0 or ask for a program via email at peninsularc(by)gmail(punt)com

User

Sounds perfect, thanks.