Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default .375H&H Restoration and rebuilding project

I have started with a classic fire-arm building project...I received a .375H&H Cogswell&Harrison barrel/cv24 Bruno action and a 3rd grade Turkish Wallnut blank to build a hunting rifle ....with the help of my friend Johan Greyling...gunsmith, arms collector and builder of canons...retoration of old "Kakebeen" Ossewaens I need to indicate that this project would not be possible without the knoweledge, assistance and goodwill of Johan..because this is my first ever attempt to build a rifle...as far as posiible I tried to do my own research and a large part of the process myself...but there are work that Johan did for me..due to my novice state regarding building a rifle...

Step 1: Research what "modern classic style means and design the stock and build it...photos are not always in the correct order but you will be able to follow the process....

User

Default Re: .375H&H Restoration and rebuilding project

These photos indicate the blank being duplicate, cut out, the cheek rest being chiseled out...worked down ....some more photos to explain the process...

User

Step 3... In -letting of actin and barrel...this part Johan Greyling did the most part...I assisted him in asking questions and try to learn from the procedures he performed with the in-letting...

User

Step 4...Fitting the Black Ivory fore-end, the grip cap, turning the cross-bolt and bluing it , centering the centre drill..inserting the crossbolt, and bedding the action, barrel and trigger parts...

Thats some serious work.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Step 5....Turning the cross-bolts...this step should have moved to an earlier post...but the result is the same...while I was busy with this step I have learned a lot about center drills and turning speed.. veneer, micro- meters...and tolerances..fortunately I have previously done some fitting and turning as part of my studies.. so I was able to help myself..but received some assistance from Sam Mellet and Erney Kelly friends who worked on lathes as well..a sub part...I have build myself two Checkering cradles...so I can do checkering while working with Johan in his save,,...and at my work if I did not finish my checkering at the safe...so `n few photos of thr checkkering cradle follows...I will post photos this week as as progress..enjoy...

User

Checkkering cradle....new foot aswell on this example for more stability...

User

Great stuff Gert, this you can be proud of.

User

Thank you Corrie/FrankH

Corrie..is it still possible to get hold of a large size K98 Mauser action to build a heavy dangerous game rifle in a .416 to a .505 cal ?

I still want to build a Dangerous game hunting rifle in a charge-stopper class....with a Turkish Wallnut stock at least a 3rd grade for a working rifle..modern classic design..with original front sights and back sights...2x crossbolts..(still pondering the telescope idea).

I want to build it for myself....just to have it and feel my own sweat on it...and contemplating the mistakes I made while building the rifle...my son will be the later custodian of this rifle..he is 12 years of age and already started saving to hunt a Buffalo in 10 years time.... he will earn the right to this rifle by sanding and partaking in the building of the rifle if I ever get hold of a sound action meeting the requirements...regards Gert Odendaal

That is awesome craftsmanship!

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast