Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 LastLast

Default Re: .375H&H Restoration and rebuilding project

Nice Gert. I haven't done any homework but how do you determine the profiles to get the flip up sights on target at the relevant distance and what grain bullet is this based on?

User

Daan , in the old gunsmith manuals there are formulas to determine the front sight height in relation to the v-express flip up distance indicators. The solid v-express is at 50 meters , then the following flip up indicator on 100 meters and the last one on 150 meters. I did group with the solid v-express sight exactly on 50 meters with the old barrel..I will be shooting for groupings shortly and then will remove the scope to shoot the v-express sight distance indicators again to make sure they are on target .... It is very important to me to be able to shoot the .375 H&H Magnum with the v-express sights as well..if by any chance the scope get damaged in the veld I need to be able to hunt open sights ..it is not just there for the show..I do not make sights for the show

User

Daan, here is some literature you can work through to give yourself a better understanding how the v-express sights or island sights fit onto a new barrel..
    Attached Files Attached Files

User

Members, some info to share :

Sight-Height-Calculations (1).pdf

User

As the saying goes: The proof of the pudding is in the eating...My plan is to take the .375 H&H Magnum to the shooting range on Saturday.

I was fortunate to find two boxes of Stewart Core bonded bullets x50 , 270 gn as well as Stewart Core bonded bullets x 50 , 300gn when cleaning out my rifle safe to move components to my new re-loading corner in my house...

so I will move the use of the Perigrine bullets to a next time ...I will be using the 270gn Stewart Core bonded bullets to hunt the Kalahari this year in July....

I still need to complete the walk- in safe . I will use the quad shooting sticks prototype I build to see how it performs when shooting a heavy rifle and large bore rifle from it..my aim is to make the final shooting sticks from aluminum tube..cover it with the cammo tape to eliminate the shining aluminum reflection...the cammo tape will assist in keeping the surface from freezing when using the sticks in the dead of winter ..carrying a freezing pipe while hunting is not fun.

I am taking the 8x57 JS along , I got hold of a beautiful Mauser 8x57JS this year and will have two Mauser 8x57JS rifles, one for my son Ruan and the new addition, an original Mauser B type collector rifle , a real beauty..I thought of selling it previously but after holding it in my hands I just know I can not sell this beautiful rifle

User

Feedback: The prototype shooting sticks works well..I can improve on the set up by making it from aluminum pipe instead of using the long wooden dowls since these dowls are too soft when shooting the heavier .375 rifle , especially when the wind blows as strong as today , what happened today while shooting..

I will replace the strings with adjustable paracord that is strong and durable . It seems I need to make the length of the aluminum pipes longer ..the wooden dowls were cut down to the length of my own ..it is too short when you open it to take aim with the rifle on the sticks ..I was always wondering why those shooting sticks they use on hunting trips in Africa are so long..When opening the sticks and placing the rifle on it , it really loose height when you take your shooting position ..

The .375 H&H Magnum `s new barrel seems to shoot accurate...I used a box of ammo I got some time back from another hunter shooting a .375 H&H Magnum as well ,who was not satisfied with these loads ..I tried to shoot a small grouping form the sticks today ..

I too am not satisfied with the re-loads..and will pull all the bullets to do my own re-loading.

I have at my disposal 50 x Stewart core bonded bullets in the 270gn weight as well as the 300gn bullets ...I want to re-load using the .270gn bullets.

There is still work I need to complete on the action, I need to do some bolt face trueing,work on the locking luggs like I did on the 8x68S Mauser action and bolt face .
    The bolt handle I bend to clear the Minox scope works well when cycling the bolt . The scope mounts are secured properly, no movement of the scope at all ..recoil is mild but it is due to the stock designed for myself to fit me properly. The 26" inch barrel is long but the whole balance of the rifle is great and it will make a fine walk and stalk hunting rifle for heavy plains game like eland and gemsbuck in the Kalahari.

I will use the 8x57 JS Mauser with 168 gn Barnes TTXS bullets on the Springbuck . I now need to get the .375 and 8x57 loaded and start shooting out to 250m to practice for the upcoming Kalahari hunt.

User

Hi Gert

Thanks for sharing the build (and rebuild) as it progressed over the years.

It has been an interesting read from beninging to ending...

Attention to detail and fine finishing is the key element to a spectacular build.

I know when I cleaned up an old english two walk hail gun I had that planning and not rushing is the secret to ending up with a fine and original piece of work that you can be proud of.

User

Fire-stick, thank you kindly for your reply, it is much appreciated. While working last week on the .375 H&H Magnum,

I looked around me at all the rifles and interesting components in the "Kluis" gunsmith shop of Johan Greyling , and realized how extremely fortunate I as a person is to have Johan Geyling as a friend and mentor and work in the shop.

With all the projects I am able to have done the past years was only possible due to Johan Greyling `s knowledge and the use of all the industrial machinery at the gun shop.

The only difficulty or rather challenge is to balance daily life with making time available to be able to work on my rifles or projects. I really try as much as possible to work on my rifles and projects .

The past few days I worked on the .375 H&H Magnum I realized how much I learned from Johan Greyling in regards to understanding the practical work of gunsmithing.

I used the only real method to be able to to a perfect wood /steel inletting of an action/barrel/bend bolt handle by using the blackening sooth method..

it is a time consuming process but certainly a procedure that test your patience ...a process that really gets you to understand gunsmithing work..

I will be completing the re-build this coming week..there are still the 8x68S and 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser build I need to complete in the next two years.

The third year I will be focusing on the .338 Imperial Magnum long range chassis build . This will include a great process I really love to do ...metal casting ..

I really love to melt aluminum, brass and copper in the furnace and cast items using foam and core sand ..

my idea is to cast the complete chassis in three parts, the butt stock , the front barrel cover/rest and the action inletting using milling work as well.

Thank you again for your participation it is much appreciated.

User

Good members, I believe all is good and well on your side? Here is a few new photos of the .375 H&H Magnum project I worked on ...I decided to fit all the features I build for the rifle.

Yesterday I fitted all the sights, it includes the Ghost ring sight dove tailed in the cocking piece ,

the V--express flip up distance indicators as well as drilled/tapped holes to fit stud scope bases with a Smidt& Bender 6x42 rifle scope. I will spend time today to make a brass bead and solder it to the front sight post...

The gunstock will be sanded down a thin layer again and complete with a few layers of True-oil...will upload photos of the groups this barrel shoots..

User

Spend time today to make a brass/copper bead , secured it by soldering to the front sight base ...

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 LastLast