Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: .375H&H Restoration and rebuilding project

Long time ago, Littleton Technical College(Pta) offered the gun-smithing theory, If I remember correctly, N1 and N2 courses. For practicals they excepted fitting and turning or machinist courses.

I have no idea if this is still offered.

User

I continued with the front sight today...I started with the front sight base as well and drill a hole at the back of the low-light for the bead to fit in...next I need to turn a ivory bead to screw into the face of the low-light sight...where I will drill and tap into the face of the lowlight sight...I filed a border around the top of the sight base and will work it down tomorrow

User

I made some progress today...the sight base is completed...tomorrow I need to mill the profile of the barrel out of the base...drill a 3mm hole into the face of the lowlight sight....turn a ivory bead on the lathe with a 1mm shaft..tread the shaft...tap the 0.75mm hole and screw the ivory bead onto the low-light face...that will complete the front sight..

I need to commence with the "flip-up"hood made from spring steel...to complete the front sight project...it will look about like this...just a lot more different...my way of doing it....

User

I did make progress today...I (Johan assist with the turning of the ivory(warthog)bead ....he helped me with the silver-soldering as-well...I inserted the ivory bead into the face of the low-light sight... unfortunately I need to build the spring/plunger again...since the heat damaged the spring...but it will not set me too far back...a few photos to explain the process we completed today...I need to mill at very close tolerances while milling the slot into the sight base to accommodate the low-light sight...and to mill out the barrel profile for setting the complete front sight on a barrel -band....

User

I completed the low-light flip-up today...next will be to turn a barrel -band out of a solid piece of round-bar...then the hood is next...I need to drill the hood out of a solid piece of round-bar...then work it down to specific dimensions...... Photobucket is offline...will post photos when possible ......

User

Good, I completed the checkkering on the sight...and Johan assist me to work down the sight to 12mm thickness using a huge (hydrolic) magnetic grinding machine to work the sight from 16mm down to 12mm..I took amazing photos of this process...now I still need to profile the sight...mill a slot for the low light sight to slide in and silver solder it ...in place...and mill the barrel profile onto the bottom of the sight base....
    Then it is onto the barrel-band...

User

This looks like a very enjoyable and satisfying project. I am watching it evolve.

User

WOW!

Gert - thank you for keeping us updated, and for all the pictures!

Makes one appreciate the cost of a rifle.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Gert

That is looking beautiful - a truly magnificent front sight to grace a stunning rifle.

I cannot think of a nice way of saying this, so I will just have to say it: after all the effort that you are putting into this front sight, if you even think of scoping this rifle - I may just have to track you down to punch you on the nose!

That front sight is beautiful - very very well done!

Sweet

User

9.3 x62, JS4, Sweet...thank you kindly for the positive feedback...yes it does take some money, time lots of it and dedication...but it is enjoyable to see how something like this takes shape...at some stage the planning happens on its own...it starts a process...and I just follow it...to where I will be posting a photo of this rifle alongside a big eland...But I would be glad if this work I am busy with stir something inside some of the readers to start a similar project...it is really worthwhile to start something like this...I have profiled the sight base today...so only the milling process is left...then I move to the flip-up hood and its features...

Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast