Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Default Re: .375H&H Restoration and rebuilding project

Gert

The markings that you want to know about are on the receiver ring of the ACTION.

Estadas (States)
    Unidos (United)
    Do Brasil (of Brasil)

so the first part translated is "United States Of Brasil", which was what Brasil was called in the late 19th century.

Have a look at this thread and see how many countries made/used Mauser actioned rifles:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ers-and-models

Note that many of the actions were made in Germany and were stamped with the crest of the country that they were sold to.

Cheers
    Sweet

User

JS4/Sweet
    Thank you for the kind words and information regarding the crest...I am sure to do some research on the origin of the crest...yes Ruan my son is with me on every step of this project...at this stage the .375 is mine while we will begin shortly with the restoration of his rifle..the 8x57JS Mauser...more photos will follow as we make progress...but I need to point out that without Johan Greyling this project would never have existed....Johan Greyling has an incredible source of knowledge regarding gunsmithing work and repairing of weapons....I have learn a lot in a very short time due to the assistance from Johan....

User

JS4
    The balance of this rifle is excellent...

User

Sweet
    I zoomed in on the crest while the foto was on camera, this is the detail written underneath the crest.:
    ESTDOSUNIDOS DO BRASIL(as pointed out by you)

The date I got by zooming in...

15 do Novemboo 1889 the last three numbers of the Novemb....is very faint...

but I think we can safely assume that it is November... I will take some close-up photos of the wording on the barrel as well maybe I can trace its history...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    JS4
    The balance of this rifle is excellent...
    Then IMHO (and please understand that I know F-all about rifles...) don't cut her. Yet.

Finish your project and shoot her. If, after that, you feel the need, then by all means shorten her.

You can always shorten. Lengthening, on the other hand...

She is beautiful!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

JS4
    he,he,he..yes me neither this is the first time I am doing such a project...I have the skills to do carpentry, welding ,turning and fitting, engineering drawing but on the end of the day it has nothing to do with building/re-building a rifle...the problem seems that since I am not a very tall,dark and handsome person..

every one wants me to cut the rifle barrel to size...something about you are going to get stuck when walk and stalking with the rifle..I have picked the rifle up and it align very fast to point of aim..snap shot motions...the rifle fits like a glove...as if it was design for me only... I am at the process to find out more about the history of this barrel /action/crest...I will start with the front sight/express V-sights and wood to metal fitting tomorrow...If I look at the pictures again maybe I should consider to to register this rifle as a .375H&H Magnum Long??

User

Anything born with a nice long barrel is at the top of the food chain! I have never heard of anybody complaining about to much barrel..?!!

I would not tap and drill that receiver for a scope, it would break my heart, stick to the open sights.

Every hunt with a rifle like that would and will be awesome! Well done on the job so far.

User

I can see myself shooting a 300gr solid up close and personal with a big dagga boy with that rifle!

User

Thank you Carl
    I think I have made my mind up ..I am not cutting anything on this rifle...I am currently looking at an alternative for not using a scope...my eyesight is not of the best...other side of 40....but I think there are more than one person /hunter having the same problem making a choice regarding to scope or not to scope...I am going to get new spectacles maybe it will assist me in shooting open sights..at least at 100-120meters walk/stalk distance...I still have a 8x57JS Mauser that I can scope to do longer distance shooting (realistic distances) ...I have complete a few small jobs on the rifle today...filing out the thump hole, leveling and beveling the extraction side...leveling the tang..I will post photos later tonight...

User

Here are today's photos of work I have done..not much but it makes a difference..

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast