Thread: BSA SMLE

User

Default BSA SMLE

When was the first BSA SMLE manufactured?

User

Default Re: BSA SMLE

Hi there Gerritf

The first SMLE rifles were approved and manufactured in 1902, however you may find some that actually bear the markings of the previous Magazine Lee Enfields (MLE) and even the older Metfords. This was because many of the first SMLE's were actually arsenal reworked out of the older models. From then on the rifle was updated on many occasions thus giving rise to all the different No.s and Marks in this series of Lee Enfields.

User

Thanks Landy31. I am waiting for my license on my BSA303. I do not know what the date of manufacturing is. It is not a No1 Mrk111* as the bolt action does not have the riffles on it at the back. It is still round. The stock is sportirised. There is also no mag cutoff plate. It could have been removed with the sportirisation. The rifle was not used much, the barrel is still in a very good condtion. No pitted places. I think it is a BSA No1 mrk 111. What would be the difference between the MLE and SMLE?

User

Apart from having a longer barrel, the MLE does not have a loading bridge for stripper clips and the bolt has a dust cover on it and it has a magazine cut off. Those are just the most obvious differences. When these rifles get sporterized alot can get changed making it hard to identify without seeing it.

User

Thanks Landy31. I will post photos when I get it. I am busy with the long wait!

User
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

I got my 303 today! It is a BSA sht `22 IV* . I thought it is the markings of a. 22, but mine is a 303. I cannot find a date of manufacturing on it. Is this a mix of different parts to create this gun?