Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default 30 M1 Carbine a SLEEPER??

There have been a couple of posts on the 30 M1 Carbine on Gunsite but I have never realised what a sleeper this rifle is.

Here is a very informative article, and I am sure there are others like it, that makes one realise that this rifle could be a VERY EFFECTIVE defensive sport shooting or home defense rifle with excellent capabilities to 100m and even more especially if loaded with some of today's excellent 30 cal bullets.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

Default Re: 30 M1 Carbine a SLEEPER??

I've been impressed on the few occasions I've shot one. Very handy.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Default Re: 30 M1 Carbine a SLEEPER??

I am waiting for my liksensie to be approved by the gunngods !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

I would like to hear more from people who own and/or have shot the 30 M1 as I'm starting to get as serious desire for one of these little guns!

In my experience the only ones worth having are surplus military models. None of the commercial guns are worth the time and trouble to try and make them run. Use only good condition 15rd mags for serious work...the 30's available today are all commercial and are hit or miss on quality, not to mention they add weight that the original mag catch was not designed to function with.

Best ammo for serious work will be SPs or if possible the new CorBon DPX loads. They are reliable, handy, accurate to 150m for social work and all in all an excellent little using carbine. Prices in the states have risen to the point where originals...even parts guns...are generally too high for a 'shooter' unfortunately.

Sleepers, indeed.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

i have one and i have tried to learn more about it, but failed.

it belonged to a life long friend's grandfather. i knew his grandfather well and he showed the rifle to me when he was still alive.

he used to be a major in the s-african sixth armoured division, in the second world war. the american fifth army was then under the command of the sa division.

now on the but of the m1 carbine is the following inscription in military fond :

:" TO MAJ. $$$$ FROM THE U.S. ORD. SEC
    5TH ARMY MARCH 45"

i also have his war dairies, but in there he only refers to the american officer that gave him the carbine, not why. it comes with its U.S issue magazine pouch

this is a very good home defence platform.

Some interesting wartime history on the 6th SA Armoured here...maybe you will recognize a name?

http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol095at.html
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I carried a 1943 Inland M1 carbine for years in my Patrol car before replacing it with an Colt AR. Loaded with Remington 110gr Soft points it's a devastatingly effective little carbine. Lots of feral dogs took a dirt nap to the bark of that old Soldier.

It's my wife's favorite centerfire rifle.

The Plainfield, Iver Johnson and very earliest Universal models all interchange with (and some used) USGI parts, the later Universals with the stamped op rods and dual recoil springs are pure CRAP and to be avoided.

Mount an Ultimak forward optic mount on it, add a red dot optic and you've got a handy little CQB carbine.

"There is no second place winner in a gunfight" - B Jordan

User

"And I JIZZ IN MY PANTS..."

Hahahaha good song!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast