Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Squeaky clean barrel vs semi clean barrel - Rifles

Hi guys,

I recently decided to clean my 30-06's barrel to pristine condition. I cleaned it 4 times with Forrest bore foam and thereafter I scrubbed the barrel with Iosso bore cleaner (as advised by Chad at ARMS) to remove ALL the copper build up. So with my squeaky clean barrel I set of to the range ready to see what this very clean barrel does.

Well...suffice to say that the 1 inch groupings I have gotten used to over the last couple of months has disappeared in to the gloom. Could barely manage a 2 inch grouping!

So what is your opinion? Should your barrel be squeaky clean or have a bit of copper fouling? I used my own reloads (same loads that gave me the good groupings).

Default Re: Squeaky clean barrel vs semi clean barrel - Rifles

Some copper buildup fills the barrel imperfections and results in a smoother bore.

User

I believe people tend to clean their rifles much too often.

I read an article once by a benchrest shooter who said that the day he realised he should spend more time on the trigger and less time cleaning his rifle was the day he became a more proficient shooter.

Shoot your rifle and get used to the rifle's ability and what to expect iro accuracy - when you see a drop in performance/accuracy clean the barrel - you will soon understand how much cleaning is enough cleaning.

I have long since discarded my original regimen of really cleaning rifle barrels to the metal after every time I use them.

User

Seems that is what happened to me! Will have to go "dirty up" my barrel a bit!

Thanks guys!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    I believe people tend to clean their rifles much too often.
    <snip>
    I have long since discarded my original regimen of really cleaning rifle barrels to the metal after every time I use them.

I agree, 100%. I see guys scrubbing their barrels as if their life depended on it. Why? Dudes getting their barrels squeaky clean after a few shots and then firing (again and again) over a clean barrel (repeat, rinse, repeat). Why?

If you have broken your barrel in correctly (barrel-maker Bilderberg group conspiracy notwithstanding), such extra heavy duty cleaning work is not required. And if you haven't... it still isn't (but you will toil more.. another advantage of breaking a barrel in). Your rifle will tell you when it needs a cleaning. My 7mm is is SUPER-fussy. It likes to be as dirty as about 7 rounds but no more than about 30. After that, the groups go wayward. My .308... well that's a pig in mud! Like its owner it likes it diiiiiiirty! So, as per Khumba. Let your rifle tell you when it needs a scrubbing.

Btw, rboshoff... did you scrub your barrel with Iosso Bore Paste? If yes, go back and give "Chad" a PK!

User

Yes it is the white paste. The background says it is made from plant extracts so I assumed it won't hurt/scratch the barrel.

I used to only use Ram Trisol 3 in 1. Think I'm going to go back to that.

Quote Originally Posted by rboshoff View Post
    Seems that is what happened to me! Will have to go "dirty up" my barrel a bit!
    This is normal Roelof, they are called fouling shots and do exactly that. They foul the barrel to remove the slickness that cleaning and oiling causes, which leads to flyers. Never liked half doing things so would not know how to half clean a clean. Personally I like a clean fiream thoroughly and will rather foul it on the range which I think is more controlled. Before shooting be sure to pass a dry patch through the barrel to ensure that all oils are removed. Fouling shots have the added advantage of getting the barrel up to temperature.

The hassle is when you hunt, just make sure you can pop two or three down the barrel at the farm, if not head to the range before your hunt and foul the barrel. I do not clean my barrel during a hunt as one seldom fires more that half a dozen shots.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rboshoff View Post
    Yes it is the white paste. The background says it is made from plant extracts so I assumed it won't hurt/scratch the barrel..
    It can.

Not to alarm you, and I'm sure that you haven't done any damage, but Iosso (like JB's) is (for something as fine as a rifle barrel) massively abrasive. It is basically sandpaper.

As I said, go give "Chad" a PK. And use a decent copper solvent. Ram does not make a decent copper solvent. IMO, all Ram products are shit. Other than perhaps the bag the stuff comes in.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    This is normal Roelof, they are called fouling shots and do exactly that. They foul the barrel to remove the slickness that cleaning and oiling causes, which leads to flyers. Never liked half doing things so would not know how to half clean a clean. Personally I like a clean fiream thoroughly and will rather foul it on the range which I think is more controlled. Before shooting be sure to pass a dry patch through the barrel to ensure that all oils are removed. Fouling shots have the added advantage of getting the barrel up to temperature.

The hassle is when you hunt, just make sure you can pop two or three down the barrel at the farm, if not head to the range before your hunt and foul the barrel. I do not clean my barrel during a hunt as one seldom fires more that half a dozen shots.
    +1

This is exactly what I do, 2 or three shots should suffice and warms the barrel nicely, I like cleaning a barrel nicely after each practice.

User

squeeky clean means that the copper/lead fouling has to build up in the tiny recesses first.
    so, if you zero your optics on a squeeky clean barrel.... it'll go off after minimal use. most docu's about snipers say they keep their barrels dirty, or slightly clean.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast