Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Handguns with detachable shoulder stocks - 'cheating'?

Is hunting with a handgun fitted with a detachable shoulder stock 'cheating' or frowned upon by handgun hunters? :-\

Default Re: Handguns with detachable shoulder stocks - 'cheating'?

I picked up elsewhere that you use your Glock 10mm to hunt with. I am just puzzled as this is a semi-auto and as far as I know this is a no-no in SA? What do you hunt?

mfezi

If you look at Thompson Contenders it only takes one screw to swop the grip to a shoulder stock. With iron sights it’s the sigh radius that matter and enlarge the human error.

Is adding an aid like telescopic sights to reduce the human error cheating? To me hunting is to kill as fast as possible with the least pain, how you do it is up to you. Therefore I say go for it.

I lie flat on my tummy with the grip on mother earth supporting the forend with a two 6 inch dowel sticks stuck together with an elastic rubber band. It’s the steadiest rest you will ever find. I get sub MOA 5 shot groups this way with the 300 Whisper. ;)

User

I just spoke with an American friend this weekend that has a 300 Whisper Rifle and apparently the sub 1000ft/s round is something!

I have a 30-30 Thompson with a shoulder stock on my books that I should sell - anybody interested.

Khumba

The 300 Whisper push 220 to 250gr bullets subsonic (±1000fps) with less than 10 gr S265. The result, almost no recoil.

Please send more info, price, barrel length, frame serial no, sights ..….. and your shop info to my direct e-mail.

User

I was also wonderinf about this. i am considering a glock .40 for rabbits and guinifowl

Quote Originally Posted by pietskiet
    I was also wonderinf about this. i am considering a glock .40 for rabbits and guinifowl
    As far as my knowledge goes, you can only hunt with a single action firearm in South Africa. So a Glock would be a no-go for any hunting activities...

If I am wrong, please correct.......

User

for game hunting yes but not varmints

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    As far as my knowledge goes, you can only hunt with a single action firearm in South Africa. So a Glock would be a no-go for any hunting activities...
    If I am wrong, please correct.......
    Hi Corné (and Pietskiet)

Corné, you're not wrong but not fully right either, but more right than wrong?! :)

It all depends on in which Province you're hunting in SA but some (most?) provincial legislation states that (unless you're hunting with permission on a farm with exemption / adequate enclosure) it's prohibited to hunt by means of a firearm which discharges more than two shots without being manually reloaded, which covers single actions, doubles, shotguns, bolt actions etc. So, unless you've had your std. Glock "fixed" (e.g. had your mags crimped) hunting with a std. Glock would be regarded as prohibited. Some national legislation holds a more generic / subjective method prohibition by stating that one can only hunt with a firearm suitable for hunting purposes. In this regard, personally, I would not regard a std. Glock, with or without a shoulder stock, as "suitable for hunting purposes". This is IMO and other applications / interpretations of the relevant laws may differ. Ultimately, if one got bust using a std. Glock to hunt with it would be up to you to prove to the Mag that it's not a prohibited hunting method and / or firearm suitable for hunting purposes. IMO one would have a tough time doing this.

Pietskiet, your statements alluding to the use of a Glock to hunt "rabbits and guinifowl (sic)" and "varmints" as being legal are more incorrect than correct, as explained above. The other reasons are firstly, that Provincially / Nationally (as far as I know) we have no legal definition for "varmints", which would create a category of legally huntable with any method and not. We have a definition for "damage causing animal" (basically a euphemism for "varmint" or "problem animal") but have no listed species and again, I doubt that a handgun such as a std. Glock would fall into the category of "firearm suitable for hunting purposes". Secondly, if we had such a species list I doubt that rabbits (and remember, "rabbits" aren't "rodents") and Guineafowl would be regarded as damage causing animals (i.e. varmints).

On a final note, unless you had your std. Glock "upgraded" to meet the definition of “suitable for hunting purposes" e.g. by putting on a shoulder stock, dropping in a longer barrel and upgrading the sights etc., I doubt that one could regard hunting with a Glock as ethical (as nebulous as this definition is). Given the above, I'd strongly suggest that you before you venture into the hunting field with your Glock that you check with your local conservation authority if it's a legal hunting method (you'd in any case need a hunting licence / permit), check with the property owner and perhaps also run it by your hunting association if they regard it as ethical.

DHIGNETT,

Thanks for that reply. I would say that it places the issue more in perspective, and as you say....partly correct and partly incorrect and my approach would have been to err on the safe side and not attempt a hunt with a Glock and a Shoulder Stock. I remember years ago a article in Magnum where there was some kind of conversion placed onto a 1911 frame that converted it to a single action handgun for such purposes of handgun hunting, but can't remember the full story... confused0083

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast