Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Make your own Tactical Rifle lubricating oil!

Quote Originally Posted by da_asassin View Post
    Holy Necropost!!!
    5 years later
    Look on the bright side: you might be able to buy something in 31 posts...

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk

User

New record ?

I did not even look at the date.

Started off with reading.... May / June edition... I thought it was current.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

User

I thought exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Trundle View Post

I did not even look at the date.

Started off with reading.... May / June edition... I thought it was current.

User

so.......motor oil,,,,,,

Banned

I will be mixing my own lube and storage oils again, can some one tell me about two things ?
    What are the requirements and notable aspects of ATF
    What is it that makes some oils evaporate and some not( so fast), including the reason they become gummy, as in apposed to not evaporate or evaporate cleanly without glue left over.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I will be mixing my own lube and storage oils again, can some one tell me about two things ?
    What are the requirements and notable aspects of ATF
    What is it that makes some oils evaporate and some not( so fast), including the reason they become gummy, as in apposed to not evaporate or evaporate cleanly without glue left over.
    For storage I still prefer normal water soluble oil as used in the coolant of a lathe or milling machine. The reason is that it absorbs water, and lets it evaporate again, without getting displaced in the process. So it keeps protecting the metal even when exposed to water droplets. It does not make a good lube for long and needs to be cleaned off before use. Automotive gear oil (90 - 140 SAE rating) is a close second, but it also lubes very well.

ATF has a very strong detergent pack, making it a good choice to loosen and lift carbon and other dirt. It also lubes well at moderate temperatures. It is not formulated for extreme temperatures, so it will burn off at some point.

2-stroke oil (1:50, not the pre-diluted type) is very stable at high temperatures. Works very well as a sprue plate lube on bullet moulds. Not sure how it would work on hot action parts in SLR's.

In mineral oils, the lighter fractions evaporate fast. Light oils like normal penetrating oil seems to evaporate in 2 weeks. Faster in Limpopo during summer. If an oil mix contains both heavy and light fractions, and the lighter fractions have evaporated, the heavy fractions remain and become even heavier, i.e. more gummy.

Plant oils like those derived from Canola or Sunflower seeds also tend to gum up over time. I suspect the lighter fractions also evaporate, leaving the waxy/gluey stuff behind. This makes them poor choices for storage. The modified Canola oils seem to work quite well as weapons lube. (No names, no lawsuits! ) Just keep the oil supply topped up occasionally to keep them from gumming up over time.

Castor oil has been used for many years in small 2-stroke engines as used in RC aircraft. Seems to work quite well in that application, but not sure how that would translate to FA's.

I like to use MSO2 (High-pressure/CV-joint) grease on certain weapons applications, like the locking lugs and cocking cams on rifles, and slide rails on Glock pistols. Should work well on an SLR's bolt and carrier. It is about the only commercial grease that has a charcoal-colour.

Many applications will work better or longer with an appropriate dedicated lubricant. Any lubricant is better than none, in most applications. Somewhere in between we have to find a workable compromise.

Banned

The write ups for and about Kroil are intriguing, seems to be a American wonder oil.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    The write ups for and about Kroil are intriguing, seems to be a American wonder oil.
    The Kroil oil I have is an extremely thin/low viscosity oil and imo not at all suitable as a gun lube.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    The Kroil oil I have is an extremely thin/low viscosity oil and imo not at all suitable as a gun lube.
    Yes perhaps I should have stated that, its a supposed wonder oil for cleaning and decoppering and loosening with from what I can gather a deep reaching lubricant ability, but not a first intended purpose lubricant. I been reading when able about Kroil for a week now.
    I made a very nice cleaning oil using Acetone and ATF, but I would like to try and mix up a long lasting storage oil that i a good lubricant. I know I can go buy some good purpose designed oil, but I enjoy this - just as a interest which sometimes has value as usable.
    Made a nice tub of stock wax using pure bees wax mineral turpentine linseed oil and cant remember off hand acetone or alcohol, think it was alcohol. Been using for 5/6 years now -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2