Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Make your own Tactical Rifle lubricating oil!

The May/June Rifleshooter has an interesting article on AR lube advice from experts.

In a nutshell, a few experts in the USA make their own muti oil mix. I read the article and I seem to agree that the motor oil industry spends millions of $ on R&D annually to have the best lubricants to market. Lubricants designed for rapidly moving, sometimes very hot, metal parts. Interesting comment was made about a commander of a Bradley infantry vehicle, he won Silver Star for battles in Iraq and he said his preferred lube for M4 was motor oil 15W40!!

So I have just mixed my attempt at the red oil" must have automatic transmission fluid". Mixed parts Synthetic 5W30 Castrol, Shell ATF transmission, 1/2 bottle Hoppes 9, some Slip EWL. Smells pretty good:-)

I will shoot lubed LM 6 when I get the chance. I have also wiped my hunting rifles down to be stored in safe.

I think any good lube like Hoppes,Slip will work, I just like adding some other synthetic oils to make it extra perfect?

Whats your guys thoughts?

Default Re: Make your own Tactical Rifle lubricating oil!

It has some similarities to Ed's Red.

Paging Pirate... He has some interesting scientific views on precisely where and how automotive oils and weapon oils differ in important aspects.

For rust prevention I think ATF must be one if the best for long term storage. Thin enough to coat well and creep into small places, but viscous enough to not run off.

For actual use, I'm not so sure it has actual benefits over EWL or something.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Use ATF to clean and Mobil 1 to lube.

User

Firstly imo the AK type platforms do better with a grease than oil. The New LMs came lubed with grease. Sig which manufactures its rifles to much tighter tolerances than your average AK and even LMs uses a charcoal coloured grease to lube the 55x series of rifles. I have experienced very good results with SIip2000 EWG in LMs, Sig 553, VZ58s and my Saiga12.

Secondly I feel comfy following professionals like Pat Rogers and Greg Sullivan who shoots 10s of thousands of rounds through ARs in a year and see 100s of thousands of rounds being expended by students every year - Filthy 14 now has more than 51000 rounds without a proper cleaning and just using Slip2000 EWL and an occasional wipe down. http://www.slip2000.com/

The success of the SlipEWL recipe imo is that it inhibits carboning and does not burn off.

An old chap that used to own my old mans farm, many moons ago (died in the 50's) used to only lube/oil his rifles (not semi autos ;)with oil obtained from oil glands from Leguaans/monitor lizards (spelling?). Apparently they have oil sacks under their front legs. He reckoned this was da shid?

Fact or fiction, never tried it myself ;)

Just some useless info.

Banned

I have heard of Wynns Charge mixed with ATF, Gearbox or Diff Oil as the golden ointment as well.

You can only call it tactical lube if it is black, or at least come in a black bottle (matte, not shiny - then it would be presentation grade) with lots of rails on it.

User

I use this combo as lube for all my firearms, works great!

Banned

Holy Necropost!!!
    5 years later

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast