Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tekut Knives

User

Default Re: Tekut Knives

Harm, can't you come up with a basic 'affordable' (R700-R800 mark) liner-lock folder for edc? Preferably with G10 handles ;) I'm sure the guys on the forum would gobble them up! :)

i think i can marshy,but i'll have to stretch that to the R1300 mark [which would be cheaper than my liner-lock folding trainer].
    i'd use 1.6 mm Ti for the liners,which is as thin as i'd go for liners,textured G10 for the scales,and a 3mm N690 blade.machine finish on the blade,no ano on the liners.overall finish would be minimal,but not crap,to keep the cost down.
    i'd use my warhead edc profile.
    so ya,this could work.
    i take knives to a gunfight

Quote Originally Posted by harm View Post
    ok,so i was being kind.it looks like ass,and for the 300 buck just how much fucking knife do you guys expect.sorry boys,thats a piece of shit,and,in my not so inconsiderable experience,knives of this price are crap,quality,build materials,the works.
    btw,i don't rate CRKT as well.
    this never amazes me.we talk about "tier 1 guns" and recognize quality there,but when it comes to knives,most gun owners accept and carry crap.
    Don't hold back, brother...tell us how ya really feel!

Actually I mostly agree with you, and if opening boxes was what I wanted a blade for I would just reach over and get my razor knife or a small flat pry bar for prying, etc.

Last I saw IIRC a Spyderco Endura or Delica ran around R700 or so at Cape Union Mart. Or am I wrong about that?
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I think that's about right for the endura. I cara my Byrd Cara Cara every day and I'm very comfortable with it. Looking to buy one for my dad and brother now, just can't find the ones with the G10 handles anywhere.

Harm, that's starting to sound like a plan brother!

Sorry Ikor,just that I've been dealing with guys who'll not bat an eyelid about carrying and using a 15k gun,but bitch and moan about decent production knives,for too long.and let's not talk about customs ;-) (not directed at the op)
    Yeah,the spydercos are a better option,I'll take a spydie back-lock over most production linerlocks anyday.
    I've also had more than a few "budget" folders come in for repairs (stop pin fell out,screws fell out,pivots fell out).usually I tell the guy to bin it,since,if I repair it,it will cost more than what he paid for the knife.sometimes I just tell the guy to take that crap elsewhere.

Marshy,if there's enough interest,I'll speak to the powers that be here on GS,and see if we can get this off the ground.
    i take knives to a gunfight

If you want a good knife, look to throw a bit more cash at a solution. R350 will get a you a knife worthy of spreading butter on your toast. You want cheap - expect cheap.

User
    Living in Kempton Park working in Randburg

I have been carrying the mentioned Tekut daily for he past 4 years, I use it for every day cutting straps, boxes, bags making holes in what ever I need, have sharpen it a bunch of times, it has no play on the blade and is still in nick shape and looks. No rust or serious marks on the patterned blackened blade. If it would break for whatever reason I would replace it.

Sorry cannot afford a Spyderco,

Regards

User

Harm, I'll start a separate thread a bit later on with regards to the project, and we can look to gauge interest amongst everyone.

User

Quote Originally Posted by marshy View Post
    Harm, I'll start a separate thread a bit later on with regards to the project, and we can look to gauge interest amongst everyone.
    point me at that thread when you do ... im interested

User

I think you have to look at the use of the knife. A knife is a cutting tool and should be seen as such. Some knives have better edge retention than others and cut better, other knives are made for stabbing, some are made of excellent steel some are not, some are finished really well and some are not etc etc etc. If you need a knife to open boxes with even a utility cutter will do, so R300 for a knife to open boxes with is a bit pricey. If you need one for self defense you'll need one with good edge retention, a thick, strong blade, a good grip, easy to take out and open etc, that will cost you. If you just want to cut your biltong on weekends you do not need a very expensive knife, a R300 Victorinox will do the job just as well as anything else. I have knives that cost R200 and I have knives that cost R3000, some I got when I was still in High School and some I got recently. Carrying a R4000 folder just for the sake of carrying a knife is ridiculous, you buy the knife to fit the need.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast