Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default My first club shoot.

I attended my first club shoot today, and what a blast (pun intended)!

My first opportunity, to fire my own Glock 19. My fist impression is that I have made the right choice. What a sweet FA. She ate the gun-shop reloads without fuss, and accuracy far exceeded mine.

The turnout was a bit disappointing, with only 5 members showing up. Maybe the freezing weather had something to do with the small turnout. But I met new members, and made new friends.

The shooting part, except for the recoil therapy, did not go so well. At least I got some good pointers on how to improve. Trigger control
    and sight alinement being my weakest point. I also learned that rushing a shot and not getting it in the A part of the target eat up more points than you gain with a quicker time. And the most important thing that I have learned was; I need more range time, lots more.

All and all a fun learning experience, and I can hardly wait for the next one.

The hardest part of the day was giving the Glock back to the dealer after the shoot. Please Mr. DFO man, can you now please hurry up and get me my license card?

User

Default Re: My first club shoot.

It will get better with time and practice. Don't be so hard on yourself, just aim to get better at it, at your own pace.

Congrats on your first shoot. Have some fun

User

It is awesome, thats why we all do it and some people think we are mad gun nuts.

It only gets better enjoy it.

User

Thanks. No I'm not discouraged, the last time I really fired a weapon was in the 90's. I expected to be rusty.

I just realise that I am in desperate need of practice, I even doubt that I will come of as the worst for the day. I'll see when I get the results.

And I loved it, every cold and windy second on the range. Instant addiction. At least HG range 3 at Knights Shooting Range is sheltered on all four sides, so there was some protection against the wind.

I'm just very glad that, even with a club shoot, and although there is a competative air, the SO still took the time to discus errors and give sugestions how to fix it. It was also my first shoot ever agains a timer, just looking at split times against target distance was an eye opener.

And the fact that I did not do so good is a perfect excuse to go to the range more.:thumbup:

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

User

Paladin, which club is it that you shoot with?

User

Everyone has been there...I dont think there's anyone that looks back at their first shoot and can honestly say it was a perfect day!

Apart from range time I suggest you start doing some dryfire at home, that will help you to get a perfect trigger "pull". Also do some drills on drawing and reloading, These are some of the areas where major time is either gained or lost. Practice all the different reloads, simulate engaging multiple targets and also practice some stoppage clearing (tap, rack, bang) in the case of a Glock

Do all of this minimum twice a week and you will definitely see a noticeable improvement on the range. Dryfire and drills are the key to better shooting

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Paladin, which club is it that you shoot with?
    Skopos Gun club.

User

Quote Originally Posted by racingfreak View Post
    Everyone has been there...I dont think there's anyone that looks back at their first shoot and can honestly say it was a perfect day!

Apart from range time I suggest you start doing some dryfire at home, that will help you to get a perfect trigger "pull". Also do some drills on drawing and reloading, These are some of the areas where major time is either gained or lost. Practice all the different reloads, simulate engaging multiple targets and also practice some stoppage clearing (tap, rack, bang) in the case of a Glock

Do all of this minimum twice a week and you will definitely see a noticeable improvement on the range. Dryfire and drills are the key to better shooting
    Yes, dryfire will be diligently done as soon as soon as I receive my license card from the DFO. I will also do all the practice drills you suggested, thanks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by racingfreak View Post
    ...and also practice some stoppage clearing (tap, rack, bang) in the case of a Glock
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Where's the club based? I'm keen to attend the next one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast