Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my ghillie suit

Default my ghillie suit

i'm going on my 1st bow hunting next week [my 1st hunting trip] and i decided to make a ghillie suit.
    i started on the "garnish" strips about 2 months back,using whatever fabric i could scavenge.
    my mother had some green chiffon [who'da thought chiffon on a ghillie suit?but it's the latest thing] and some beige cotton type fabric and my sister gave me a rust cotton fabric.and i found a few hessian rice bags.
    i spent quite a few days cutting all the fabric [over at least 3 weeks] using a pinking shears.i tried to form the strips into a vague diamond shape to look leafy.
    my wife sewed a top and pants to form the base,using hessian.then i'll attach the strips.my plan is to stitch 3 or 4 together and attach this to the base.
    i have some natural raffia which i'll attach for that grassy look.i thought hemp might have been better,but that has other complications

i made this "ghillie hat" a few years back

i have'nt taken pics of the progress,but i'm done.my wife just has to sew on the quick release buckles.
    i was going to cut out slits for vents but my wife said the hessian used for the base is a very loose weave so that really won't be necessary[she has a diploma in clothing design so she should know].

-all the strips attached to the front and back

-i ran out so i had to scrounge more fabric.this was all that i found

-this is what the new strips look like

-pants is done

-i started hand-stitching the strips to the sleeves [don't ever want to do this again]

-top is done

-suit is soaking before dye is added

-dye added to bath

-top and pants drying

once the suit is dry the buckles will be attached and i'll shoot while wearing it to work out the kinks.
    i take knives to a gunfight

User

Default Re: my ghillie suit

Harm...

You really worked very hard on this suite... cfd89

If you are this dedicated making a suite I can only imagine how dedicated you must be practicing with your bow. lv29

Because I dont wanna hurt your feelings, and I am not "as serious as you are in stalk hunter", please let us know what happens out there with you and the "game"... nj

Dont mind me... go for it.. hpy180

thanks Gidsie.i'll do a thread on my trip when i come back.
    i took another couple pics -
    - my wife attached the buckles
    - i look like cousin It's older brother
    i'll be shooting later,so i'll try and get pics of that.

can you see?

not the target at the end.
    i asked my son to wear the top and sit under the mango tree.

full-draw.easier to sight than it looks

release.got a bit of a scare when the string slapped the strips that are flapping.

without the hood

1 with the hood half-on.strips are still in the way.i then tied them back,so now it's not a problem,but i forgot to get pics of that,or of my shots.

my bow.

Really nice suit. Well done.

Now ,if only you had a couple extra in kit form.................... happy0065
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Wow! That looks like hard work.
    Good Job.

I sewed a Camonet 3x6m using hessian It took a loooong time.
    Sew, all I can say is welldone.
    Are u going to try neutralise the "scent" on the suit? How will u do this?

Goodluck ,et us know how the hunt goes.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

thanks guys.
    camouflage762, i've been thinking about scent neutralisation for a long time.i have a theory - game animals do not react to vehicles [well,in my experience anyway].they do not associate danger with the vehicle,or the smell of the vehicle [my opinion,anyway] .i believe this is the reason that it is illegal to hunt from,or near a vehicle.so if the scent of the vehicle,ie,the exhaust fumes,are a not associated with a threat to the life of the game animal,maybe exhaust fumes will work well,to mask the human scent and as a camouflage.i call it eau de unleaded hpy71

Quote Originally Posted by harm
    thanks guys.
    camouflage762, i've been thinking about scent neutralisation for a long time.i have a theory - game animals do not react to vehicles [well,in my experience anyway].they do not associate danger with the vehicle,or the smell of the vehicle [my opinion,anyway] .i believe this is the reason that it is illegal to hunt from,or near a vehicle.so if the scent of the vehicle,ie,the exhaust fumes,are a not associated with a threat to the life of the game animal,maybe exhaust fumes will work well,to mask the human scent and as a camouflage.i call it eau de unleaded hpy71
    Beware for carbonmonoxide poisoning. confused0068

My opinion:
    Rather try neutralise any unnatural scent as a opposed to creating/adding any percieved "neutral" scent.
    I read that Selous scouts would get stand over a smokey fire, to confuse the scent of dogs whilst on ops.
    To take it to the extreme I would rub the suit in the droppings of game in the area that I would be hunting.

Obviously, you would not be able to use the suit for formal occasions thereafter ;D

Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Congrats on some really hard work there, the results look superb.

That is one scary-ass suit, I would kak myself if I walked into the office and saw this...

Quote Originally Posted by DrDave
    Congrats on some really hard work there, the results look superb.

That is one scary-ass suit, I would kak myself if I walked into the office and saw this...
    hpy194 hpy71

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast