Thread: Bino's

Default Bino's

I need to urgently get a set of binoc's for a hunt next weekend.

I don't want to spend more than a grand.

Must be as compact as possible.

Any suggestions?

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Default Re: Bino's

Quote Originally Posted by makeminea10mm
    I need to urgently get a set of binoc's for a hunt next weekend.
    I don't want to spend more than a grand.
    Must be as compact as possible.
    Any suggestions?
    Yeah, increase your budget if you want decent optics.

Sorry, not too helpful if your budget is limited, but the truth.

You want to get something decent like Swarovski or Steiner, even Nikon, but they should be rubber armoured so you can drop them (even on their strap around your neck) wthout worrying about damage, either from the ground or from hitting your rifle butt. They should also NOT be flashy and shiny (to cut down on stray reflected light).

I saw some good prices at the new in-terminal electronics/phot equipment shop at the new Int terminal at Jan Smuts (don't try to make me say THAT other name!).

8x30 should be fine
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

What do you men feel about Vortex binos?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD
    What do you men feel about Vortex binos?
    Why do u exclude abhm & BigT?
    ;)
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

I agree with Paul. If you want to use the bino's more than just one weekend, you'll have to spend more than 1k.

As one can spend as much as you want to, I found a decent balance in the the Steiner 8x30 Military. It has given me excellent service over many years of use. Admittedly I do not use them daily but when I do, it is normally in fairly rough conditions. They never miss a beat and did not cost an arm and a leg. They are a bit on the heavy side for a walk and stalk if you have a thin neck though . . . I have no experience on their lighter bino's like the Predator series.

Try them http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/bi...itary/280.html

Order them from B&H directly for just over U$200 apiece http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Binocular.html

Banned

Yo MM10MM! A couple of points on getting bins for hunting:

1. Double if not triple your budget.
    2. Don't think bigger is better (for extended use/carry while hunting: heavy = bad).
    3. If you can afford it, invest in roof prisms instead of porro prisms.
    4. Buy a good bino-harness (coupla hundred bucks at most), you WILL never regret it! Do NOT rely on the ordinary neck-strap that comes with the bins, esp. if used for hunting.
    5. 8 X 40 is your best all-rounder (much like 3-9X40 for scopes).
    6. Shop the second hand market but beware of cheap knock-offs.
    7. From the entry-level bins I've used the Nikon Monarch range can't be beat for value for money and quality.

I've e-mailed you an article on buying bins from the latest issue of Bowhunter Magazine.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by deonh
    4. Buy a good bino-harness (coupla hundred bucks at most), you WILL never regret it! Do NOT rely on the ordinary neck-strap that comes with the bins, esp. if used for hunting.
    5. 8 X 40 is your best all-rounder (much like 3-9X40 for scopes).
    On this topic: Work out well beforehand EXACTLY how you plan to carry and use your binos in conjunction with your rifle.

I use a 'ready sling' on my rifle so I can bring it into battery almost instantly and it (the sling) assists me in creating a stable shooting position (I'll brag about how this enables me to shoot later...). Essentally the sling runs from the foretend tip on the rifle to a loop on a plate incorporated into the butt of the stock. I sling the rifle over my head and left shoulder, and walk with the rifle across my chest, muzzle down. All I have to do to bring it into battery is lift with my left arm and it's already in my right shoulder.

My binos are then slung over my head and right shoulder (over the top of the rifle) and hang under my right arm when not in use, but can be brought up to my face with only my right hand thus allowing me to keep control of the rifle with my left hand. I can then simply drop them if I need to shoot the rifle.

I am right handed.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian